Meat Loaf Recipes

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by Katfish Kern, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Katfish Kern

Katfish Kern New Member

State:
    Florida
    Does anyone have any good meat loaf recipes. I seem to be making the same ol thing over and over again, and I need to spice it up.

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Seth,Try experementing an create your own recipe:wink: I do it with any recipe I find that I just don't agree with on the ing. I just omit the ones I dont like and sub for spices i want in it. works for me:cool2:

3. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I dont know what meat your using. I mix it up myself. Sometimes just beef or beef and pork, beef, pork and turkey..etc. Sometimes I add some lamb also. Usually whatever I bought in the discount section and is in the freezer. Hope this helps.

4. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Someone at work gave me some smoked meatloaf to try, it was unbelievable. I'll post a recipe if I can talk him out of it...

5. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

This is my meatloaf recipe.....I wouldn't say it's all that unusual though. If you like stuff spicy, you can always use some type of hot sauce in the meat part and then again in the sauce for the top....plus use freshly chopped hot peppers of some sort instead of the green peppers. I also think dried ground chipotle peppers would be good, and give it a smoky flavor.

Two cool things you can do with meatloaf to change it up.....if you like boiled eggs, you can put about half your meat mixture in the loaf pan, then lay a couple or three boiled eggs in there end to end longways. Cover with the rest of the meat and press down. Looks pretty when you cut it, 'cause you get a slice of egg in each piece. Tastes good too.

One of my favorite things to do is to fill onions with the meatloaf mix. Get some big onions, peel 'em, make sure they'll stand up. Then cut in half crosswise. Take out most of the middles (you can use that for the chopped onions that go in the meat part), leaving about four of the outer onion layers. Fill both halves with your meat mixture, then stick 'em back together, so it looks like a whole onion. Sometimes you have to secure 'em with a few toothpicks until after they're baked. When I do them this way, I make extra topping sauce and pour over the onions before baking.

I've also grilled meatloaf before, but not in the onions. Bet that'd be good though.

Melt in Your Mouth Meatloaf

1 1/2 lbs. lean (7% fat) ground beef
    20 saltine crackers, crushed
    1/4 cup shredded cheese (I normally use sharp cheddar, but about anything will work)
    1 egg, lightly beaten
    1/2 cup picante sauce
    1/4 cup EACH chopped onion and green pepper
    1/8 tsp. EACH ground black pepper and garlic powder
    1 tbsp. worchestershire sauce

Mix well with hands. Press into large loaf pan; bake in preheated 350 degree oven 40 minutes. While loaf is baking, mix together:

1/2 cup taco sauce (or picante sauce)
    2 tbsp. ketchup
    1 tbsp. mustard
    1 tbsp. brown sugar
    1 tbsp. worchestershire sauce

Remove loaf from oven, pour off fat. Spoon on sauce topping; return to oven for an additional 20 minutes. You can also sprinkle on some extra cheese if you so desire.

I also know a few folks who put shredded carrots in their meatloaf.

6. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Catgirl, that does sound like a good recipe, I printed it out to add to my collection....
    Heres a couple of my meatloaf tips...

Add a couple of tablespoons (or more) of Pickapepper or other Jerk sauce per pound of meat.

Put 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick slices of onion around the edge of your meatloaf pan then put the meatloaf mixture in the middle. (almost like a meatloaf pie with onion slices for a crust.)

use your favorite Bar-B-Que sauce as your topping, quick and easy....