Measuring line out.

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by HARVRAD2003, Mar 20, 2007.

1. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I have a roll of about 500 yds of 100 lb. power pro and was wanting to measure out around 150 to 200 yds to put on my 7000c3's or penn 320's and was wondering the best way to measure out line. I don't have a line counter or anything except a measuring tape to measure out the yardage, any suggestions, + would this be to much load on a 7000c3???

2. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Randy, just fill the spool. How is knowing just how much line you have on going to improve your fishing? :smile2:

3. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Oh I'm sorry I should of explained, I'm trying to save enough to at least put it on 2 reels if not 3 this year. Your right it won't help my fishing, I just wanted to have enough over for at least 1 or 2 more reels. Also the little knob on the spindle of the 7000c3 would this be a good place to tie off the power pro or would I still need mono backing (that is if I do decide to fill spool up with power pro).

4. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Find a friend with a line counter reel who either has no line on it, or needs to respool anyway, use the reel to measure out how much line you need.

5. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Randy, here is a inch/metric conversion chart.http://mdmetric.com/tech/cvtcht.htm
    Your line is .018mm. I put 40# Berkley big game on my 7000iC3. It is .024mm line. I estimate just about 160 yards.
    :wink:

6. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    Shakesphere makes a line counter that can be had for $12.00

7. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Depends on why you are wanting to measure... perhaps to divide line from one spool equally between several reels?

I often spooled a "top-shot" of expensive line like Power Pro over a length of backing to have a full reel. I was faced with the same delimma as you face now.

I finally just spooled the reels up about halfway with backing line, then tied on the Power Pro and finished spooling it up. Now, since I have discovered the true value of Power Pro, I spool up the entire reel with it. Sure, it costs more... but it lasts for years and years.

8. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Thanks for all you alls input, I figure I'll try and put it on 2 of my reels---it'll probably be one 320 GT2 and I'm not sure on the other one. Also I heard that putting it on you are suppose to put it on tightly, what's the best way of doing this--should I get another person to help me or what do you all suggest?