Meanmouth Bass

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by squirtspop, May 18, 2006.

1. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Copied from today copy of the Batesville Guard.

After 20 years, the meanmouth bass has struck again.
    More than once.
    About two decades ago, an outdoors magazine — Outdoor Life, I believe — published an article about a hybrid bass that was so aggressive the researchers who created it called it the “meanmouth bass.” The article said the meanmouth — a cross between smallmouth and largmouth bass — was attacking people who waded into the shallow ponds where the hybrid was being studied — or at least nipping their legs, sometimes in swarms.
    Swarms of meanmouth bass were also documented chasing dogs out of the water in the observation ponds by snapping at or actually biting the dogs. Researchers’ hands were also bitten on occasion as they handled the snap-happy fish. At least one bite brought blood.
    The news now is that meanmouth bass are occurring naturally, although most of the meanmouths being caught are smallmouth-Kentucky (spotted) bass crosses rather than smallmouth-largemouth hybrids. Not all of them, though. Some are identical to the original laboratory-produced fish which were destroyed, by the way, because they were so aggressive.
    A Cave City Bass Club member caught a meanmouth (smallmouth-Kentucky) on Lake Norfork last Saturday. He said it was, in shape, more like a rock bass, but because of its markings was obviously a smallmouth-Kentucky cross. The club made a rule four or five years ago that meanmouths cannot be weighed in during touraments because they are neither a smallmouth nor a Kentucky (or largemouth).
    The rule was instituted after a club member quit after being denied his request to weigh in a meanmouth as a smallmouth. That fish was long enough to meet the smallmouth length limit but not the Kentucky bass length limit. Weighing in the fish would have put the club member into the prize money.
    Some of these naturally-occurring meanmouths look more like pure smallmouths than others.
    Although found in Missouri and Georgia and perhaps other states, as well as Arkansas, the number of natural meanmouths appear to be highest in Table Rock Lake. Outdoor Life, which seems to be the magazine on top of the meanmouth issue, reports that Curt Walker of St. Charles, Mo., caught a 4.75-pound meanmouth from Table Rock Lake last fall. The fish reportedly was announced as a state record, although it probably won easily. I suspect no one else had ever tried to enter a meanmouth for a state record.
    Several other anglers report catching meanmouths on Table Rock, where spawning conditions apparently are conducive for the two species to create nests in the same areas.
    Several types of sunfish crossbreed in the wild, and some laboratory engineered fish have been successfully released in public and private waters. These include the saugeye, a cross between sauger and walleye; the tiger muskie, a cross between northern pike and muskie; and perhaps the most successful of all, the hybrid striper, which in Arkansas grow up to 60 pounds or so. The hybrid striper is a cross between striped bass and white bass.
    Hybrids often have desirable characteristics of both parents but sometimes develop unique personality traits (see “mule,” perhaps the most famous hybrid ever). One of those traits can be aggressiveness, which means meanmouth bass put up a good fight when hooked by a fisherman.
    Type “meanmouth bass” into your Google search engine and you’ll get several hits on sites that discuss the meanmouth, and some of those sites have photos. Have a good time searching for the meanmouth both on the Internet and in our lakes and streams!

2. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I now understand the the source of my X mother in laws personality.That woman had to be a hybrid.I though it was me.Thanks.peewee-williams

3. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Peewee, you ain't right Brother.
    :big_smile_2:

ST

4. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    this makes me think of an experiment I heard of.
    first they crossed the Waleye with a Coho, the cowal was a great eatin fish but lost its will to fight.
    next they tried crossin it with the Muskie to give it some fight.
    the result? fantastic eatin, hard fightin but they say the cowalski was just too dumb to swim!!

OK, OK It was just a old joke! I apologize to any that might have been offended!

5. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Only been this way since the day I was born.peewee-williams

6. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Why?The reason I like Larry the Cable Guy is that he treats us old cripples just like everyone else.We are all funny,be it our sex,race.age,religion,heath,or station in life.There are a few who have selected there selves to regulate the rest of us on what is proper.Well,they can take their you know what and shove it up their you know where.Laughing at what is funny and laughing at cruelty are two completely different things.Your choices and level of sensitivity is your right and privilege.To force it on others is not.The people that try are the ones that really need help.I really need to laugh at myself and every one else when I can.Sitting around crying or feeling sorry for my self don;t help a thing.I think it is only good for the self styled sensitivity police.As they only respect their opinions,I don;t feel bound to respect theirs.If you can not laugh or joke about me,then you are very uncomfortable around me.peewee-williams

7. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    PeeWee, I apreciate your realistic attitude. the older I get (just 29 n holdin) I get to see the humor in my existance.:big_smile:
    Hang in there Bro.

8. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    u brothers are crazy but funny lol:smile2:

9. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt