Mean plants

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by captain5214, Apr 7, 2006.

1. captain5214

captain5214 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    i like growing mean plants....last week-end i was able to add to my list of mean plants.....i got a devils walking stick. i got a viscious 4 foot crown of thorns. i got mature centry plants, some large and rather pretty devils back bones,and cactuses to mention a few. i got rotunda holly bushes for my shrubery and the i grow the thorniest roses around. i want to grow some poison ivy in a hanging basket, but my wife wont let. any other mean varieties yall can suggest? ps... i got a huge, at least 5 year old aloe vera plant that has flowered! first time for me, dont think i ever seen one in flower before. charlie r

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Charlie, try the Venus Fly Trap plant. really cool when it clamps down on a bug and digests it.

3. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Venus fly traps are very cool, When they get big!

4. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Nightshade, monkshood, death camus, and oleander.

5. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Plant a few black locust trees. Those things have 3 to four inch thorns all up and down the trunk and branchs. You don't want to run into or try to climb one of those trees.

6. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    Get a starfish houseplant and be sure it is outside in the summer when it flowers.Flower is nice, but it smells like rottem meat.UGH.I had one and made the mistake of keeping it indoors. Enough to make a mortition retch.

BILL

7. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Charlie, I would suggest nettles and thistles.There are many varieties to be found in the wild. Poison Hemlock grows by the road sides here in Ohio. If you want to harvest a crop, plant a Chestnut tree, I can guarantee you wont be going bare foot while under it! :cursing: lol

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Sawbriers. They are especially great if you have a section of fence where undesireable folks are liable to climb over uninvited. Unless someone's shooting at them, they won't be crossing a fence covered in sawbriers. That reminds me, I've got some stragglers growing up out a ways from the fence; gotta cut them down before the grandkids try to walk through them.

9. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Posted by Charlie:i got a huge, at least 5 year old aloe vera plant that has flowered! first time for me, dont think i ever seen one in flower before. charlie r
    My dad had an aloe vera a few years back that bloomed...it was beautiful. And...if taken care of, it should bloom again for a few years. We were all just stunned, because we'd never seen one bloom before either. My dad also has 2 5ft tall century plants. Guess he likes mean ones, too. He has a Saga palm that we brought him from Florida 24 yrs ago. Last year, it formed a huge ball in the center....that was its bloom!! Wild! Hey Charlie, tell Cheryl Roxie says Hi!:p