Mealworms?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by yotetrapper, Mar 11, 2007.

1. yotetrapper

yotetrapper New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i saw in the library there was a post called mealworms but when i opened it it was about red worms and night crawlers. Anyone ever use any mealworms, and if so, have any luck?

2. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Meal worms are good bait for panfish like perch or crappie, but not cats as far as I know. I could be wrong. It would take a whole bunch of em as they are very small. Might be good bullhead bait???

3. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Meal worms work on catfish too. Anything a panfish will eat so will a catfish. I got into catfishing because, when fishing for bluegill, the damn catfish kept taking my meal worms. So, I'd toss out a line with shrimp or some other catfish goody on it and fish for my gills. Still, the cats would take the meal worm almost as often as the other bait. I used a #6 long shank mustad hook with an offset and caught plenty of 2-3 lb channels.

4. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I use them they are very god on bream and thout:tounge_out:

5. allworknofish

allworknofish New Member

State:
    texas
    never tried meal worms....but i have used those white grubs you dig up sometimes when trying to dig nightcrawlers...they are just june bug larvae, but they worked pretty good. dont see why if you put a couple or three meal worms on a hook a cat wouldnt hit them

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I've had that opposite problem.The bluegills always steal my mealworms before anything else has a chance to even smell it. I like using mealworms or waxworms for bluegill.

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've only used mealworms once, when I couldn't get any maggots, which are excellent bait for just about anything. Don't see why they wouldn't work well for catfish, though. Hard to beat fresh shad or skipjack, though.