Me and Gator T

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Bill in SC, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Yesterday, GatorT called me saying he needed a break from the "world", and we planned a spur of the moment wildcat venture. He arrived at the Society Hill landing, and we caught up some gills right quick. The river was super low. As we traversed down river to a couple of my normal holes, we ran up on a rock bar. You should have seen the BIG fish scatter from the foot or so deep water. I assume it was blues feeding on the mussels. We went on down river, and found lots of arches on the machine and set up to commence fishin'. The first hole, I pulled out a small flattie about 5 or 6 pounds, and Gator had a good takedown that immediately got hung in the snags. He did manage a small flattie, a couple of pounds. We only moved a couple of times, as he had to work today and we were limited on our fishing time. I wish we had had the time to go back and set up on the drop off right upstream of the rock bar where we saw all the big fish earlier. Overall, it was a great night on the water, just getting away for a while. Sometimes it's not about the fish caught, but the journey and camaraderie. Gator is a VERY knowledgeable fisherman, and I look forward to many hours of fishing time with him in the future. Here are a couple of pics.

Bill in SC

Attached Files:

2. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Bill that sounds like a great way to spend the evening ,fishing an spending time with a buddy

3. CatMan(Cali)

CatMan(Cali) Well-Known Member

State:
    Fresno Californ
    Thanks for the report. Any day out fishing with good company is a good day, regardless of the results.

4. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    There is a different feel between the lake and the river. And I needed to feel the river. It's been a long time - all of my fishing lately has been done on the lake. Maybe this doesn't make sense to some, but I'll say it again: I needed to feel the river.

I was more interested in the beauty of the river, the moon, the stars, the conversation - just feeling the river - than in actually fishing. And I had a ball!

Bill even ran the boat up on a rock bar a little bit one time, to make me feel at home. (If you don't do that on the Wateree River, then you're not upriver.)

Bill knows his water. And I can't wait to get back down and do some serious fishing. I had a great time.

I had read other posts on here by other people who had fished with Bill, talking about him being a great guy. But that doesn't even cover it. I went, kicked back, and Bill took care of everything. Gave me a tour of the river on the S.S. Blunt and fed me a four star meal. (and, yes, on the river a can of beenie weenies is a four star meal)

HE caught the bait, while I was sight-seeing.

All in all, Bill I owe you a big thanks for a great trip. You are a great guy, and I enjoyed fishing with you again. (And I promise to pull my weight next time.)

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <(And I promise to pull my weight next time.)>

As long as you are pulling my very manageable anchor, you are certainly pulling your weight. Again, you are always welcome on the Blunt!

BB

6. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    LOL You're just being nice, those beenie weenies suck! Bill musta been hoardin' those ham samwiches..... lmao

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    The damn ham finally got gone! LOL!!

BB

8. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    You had ham Bill you suck!!!!!!!!:wink::smile2:

9. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    I wish i lived close to a river. I prefer river fishn or running water. You can't beat dropping a anchor, throwing out the rods, watching the current run past the boat. Even on rare occasions the current be so strong it has your rods kinda moving up and down waiting on the bite. When the bite does come, you better have big reels. Great trip Bill, its always good to hear of your trips, its almost as if i'm there:big_smile: You gona have to give me a taste of the Pee Dee:wink:

10. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Great trip guys!! GatorT you right, Bill does know 'Big Stuff' bout the river.:wink:

Dean the only thing you gonna taste is leftover beenie wennies!!:smile2:

11. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Ha, I took some chips and some other stuff to snack on when I went. No Beanie Weanies for me (especially cold ones, UGH). Bill, at least you didn't lose any more rods...

Did you ever fish the one we lost that night out of the water?

12. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    'el NO!! :)

BB in SC

13. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Man, I still feel horrible about it. :sad2:

I didn't even see that snag sticking up... I was too busy dreaming about a fat flattie or a hammer blue.:eek:oooh: