MDC Tagging Program for Silver Carp on the Mississippi River

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by cpalombo, Jul 22, 2007.

1. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    So, I keep reading about these tagging programs for the flatheads and the blue cats. I have never caught one, but hope to some day. I think such programs are great. Kind of like the freshwater fishing version of a scratch off-lottery program.

Then this idea strikes me... since, by law, you will soon not be able to return a live silver carp back to the river, and since the MDC is looking for ways to reduce the numbers of slime rockets in our state's river systems why don’t we... (here it goes)...

Put $5.00 tags on a few thousand Asian carp in the Mississippi River near St Louis. The state could put up some reward money for actual tagged fish caught, and then enjoy the benefit of a massive reduction in Asian carp related head-trauma among boater's wives and girlfriends (typically, the noble persons that sit at the front of the boats and bravely deflect airborne fish).

I know what you are saying... spending a bunch of tax money on a lottery system is an irresponsible use of public funds. Perhaps this is true. My back-up proposal might be this... the state asked corporate sponsors (like Cabellas, Bass Pro, Lane Briant, Bed Bath and Beyond) to donate small waterproof items that can be attached to silver carp with tagging wire. Items such as earrings, watches (waterproof), pocket knives, small caliber handguns, and leatherman tools could be harvested among the state's annual catch. It is like gift shopping from your boat!

So here is a mental picture... you are riding down the Mississippi river one day, and see a pair of gold earring fly by you attached to the back of a 15 lb silver carp. You want to continue forward to your fishing spot, but your wife's birthday is coming up soon. Self discipline and the spirit of generosity prevail as you slow you boat, and give chase. While turning wide circles around your “Man Over Board" GPS mark, the fish (and its supply of earnings) break water, and are quickly caught in your net. This situation, while hypothetical demonstrates the benefit you you, the people of the State of Missouri, and to your loving wife.

Anyone willing to join me in advocating for this proposal?

CP

2. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    Or, we could just hide quarters in a few million of the fish. The Finnish do this with cakes at Christmas time.

CP

3. shopteacher

shopteacher New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I would fully support this proposal.... however... What about us in the Kansas City area??? I wouldn't mind doing a little gift shopping too!

You got my vote!!

4. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    So let me get this straight... we pay people to catch and tag silver carp, releasing them so that other people can catch and kill the same carp and receive a reward, with no other science or informational motives like we have for the tagged cats?

Count me in, lol.

5. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Sheer Genius!! It's taken me 10 minutes to type this as laughing fits keep coming back and I can't type while cackling hysterically. This could be good or bad, but if we could get shoes/purses attached to some of the bigger ones, I could probably get my wife to go:wink:

6. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'll tag them. Right between the eyes with a hatchet!!! No bonus needed for me. However, if there was a location to drop off the dead fish in return for trinkets of appreciation, I would be all for that.

Like for every 10 fish, you get 5$ credit towards something neato from a catalog. Also, that way, the merchandise won't be corroded when you recieve it.:big_smile:And there would be no double handling of the fish, because to tag and release these fish, and HOPE they get caught again somehow is counterproductive.

I noticed this past trip to the river that these fish actually chase you down. They don't just lay in wait for you to happen past a school. I could see the wake of the fish chasing the boat moments before they lept from the water.:angry:

7. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    It would never work, Chris. Come on. You know as well as I do that Bed Bath & Beyond won't chip in on this.

As for the rest, go for it.

8. dewboy24us

dewboy24us New Member

State:
    Missouri
    get conservation and other to sponser a bowfishing tournement for the slimey things. most dead fish win?

9. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I tag every carp I catch.

Right between the eyes with a seat pedestal...:eek:oooh:

10. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    That sound's better than any of Cube's ideas I've heard so far...

11. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    Chris for chairman of MDC!!!! I think you might be on to something with this tagging idea.

Another idea might be a bounty of sorts. I remember reading something when I was out fishing in Washington State about rewards offered for the pike minnow. I just goggled it and found out that one guy made 35K in one year !! That would buy you a few pair of gold ear rings!

http://www.bluefish.org/lowlypik.htm

12. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Anything to get them out of the water would be supported by me. I was out at George Winter Park today with the girl friend and kids and they were flying right at us....I was laughing but it was scaring the crap out of the kids. Had a big one (had to be at least 30lbs.) fly right at the boat and bang off the side then go under and get hit by the motor made a lovely sound.