Mayflies around the Pee Dee River

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by weasel, Jun 22, 2007.

1. weasel

weasel New Member

State:
    NC
    I was on the Pee Dee river last night and all at once swarms of mayflies were on top of the water up and down a long stretch of the river. I have never seen such a feeding frenzy in all my life, there were fish feeding on them everywhere which brings me to my question.
    Everytime I fish there some kind of schooling fish (big fish) feeds in a large group on top water. Any idea what they may be? I've only ever caught one striper there. Could it be white bass? Carp? I wish I knew what kind of lure to throw at em.

2. greggofish

greggofish New Member

State:
    Holly Springs, NC
    small channel cats...I would venture....

The same thing happened to me last year and it was crazy.......they started landing all over us and then all on the water and small channel cats (1-3 pounds) went absolutely nuts. I stuck 5 or 6 flies on a hook with no weight and caught a few. We also shined the spotlight a few times and could see them by the dozens......who woulda thunk it.

3. RPGNC

RPGNC New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    That would be awesome. I went fishing in a catfish stocked pond (i know its cheating :roll_eyes: ) and the guy who owned it would throw fish food out and the same thing happened, we caught like 20-30 fish in one day, all around 3lbs. We ate good that night :smile2:

4. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have a spot I fish that has a streetlight over the water. I have seen crappie out there every night eating the mayflies off the water. I caught one and used it for bait right where I caught it at and caught a 20 lb flathead. So I guess evry night crappie eat mayflies, flathead eat crappie, and I eat flathead. Now thats a plan!

5. McDreamy

McDreamy New Member

State:
    nc
    if u want some real fun take a fly rod along and tie on a dry fly u have a blast catching cats on a fly rod

6. TheCatfishingBoy

TheCatfishingBoy New Member

State:
    NC
    I went fishing the other night at the Pee Dee river and I seen Lots of Mayflies and fish were breaking the water continuiously and I put two of the on a Slip Bobber and Caught lots of small Channels and One 4 Pld. Blue