Maybe the most important decision of your life

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Kansas Tree Rat, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    Do you carry a gun?
    Number one rule. NEVER bring a knife to a gun fight! Or a big ol catfish rod or some lead sinkers for that matter. Listen to the reply of every Cop or retired law enforcement guy on this thread, they know what kind of bad guys are out there. http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6188
    It does not matter if you are the biggest, baddest guy out there, when 3 drunk or tweaked out bad guys show up and decide it would be fun to beat the crap out of you at gun point you are screwed and could DIE! One punch to the face and you go down on the rocks you could die or be injured for the rest of your life even if they were just having fun.

I carry not because I can’t handle myself but because I have people that count on me coming home. Everyone should check on the local laws for themselves and NOT go by what someone told them. But the bottom line for me is that I would rather stand in front of a judge for a weapons charge than stand in front of someone that wanted to do me harm without a weapon.
    In Kansas the law states that you can carry open anytime and you can carry concealed if you are engaged in any hunting or FISHING activity. Some of your states may have similar laws check them out and don’t just go be what someone told you.
    The other side of this coin and just as important is “SITUATIONAL AWARNESS”.
    ALWAYS be aware of your surroundings. If unsavory individuals show up LEAVE. It don’t matter if the fish are biting and you were there first. Many times this type of person takes awhile to get worked up (or drunk enough) before they will mess with you, so don’t give them time. As soon as you start to feel uncomfortable remove yourself from the danger zone.
    Many times just the presents of a gun will prevent trouble from starting. Bad guys look for weakness and a sidearm is the best way to say “don’t mess with me”. If someone is stupid enough to mess with you when they know you have a gun just think of how much more dangerous they would be if you were unarmed!
    The decision to carry or not to carry is a very personal one and one that each of you have to make on your own but remember it is not only you that will be affected by you decision. There are people that are counting on you to come home. If you do decide to carry, know your local laws, practice and get training and have the mindset that you will use it if necessary.
    The only other thing I can say is that with the economy the way it is we are going to see much more violent crime. Times are changing and as civil unrest grows and unemployment increases things are going to get worse. The “good old days” when men settled things with their fists are gone. Make this decision BEFORE you are put into a situation where you “WISH” you had a gun!
    God bless and be safe.

2. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    This is a pretty hot topic Alan! Thanks for revisiting it! This has been discussed on another thread not too long ago and it turned somewhat heated. This should bring about an interesting debate. Personally, I do not carry because IL law does not allow it for the general public, but I am not sure if you are hunting or fishing. Question for my fellow Illinoisians - can we?

3. Kansas Tree Rat

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    Brian
    Here is what I found for your state. and the link.
    Carrying (Residents Only)

It is unlawful to carry or possess any firearm in any vehicle or concealed on or about the person, except on one's land or or fixed place of business.

It is unlawful to carry or possess any firearm on any public street or other public lands within the corporate limits of a city, village, or incorporated town, except when: an invitee thereon or therein, for the purpose of the display of firearms or the lawful commerce in firearms.
    Exceptions are persons using their firearms on established target ranges; licensed hunters, trappers, or fishermen while engaged in their licensed activity; transportation of firearms that are broken down in a non-functioning state or are not immediately accessible, and transportation, carrying, or possession of a firearm which is unloaded and enclosed in a case, firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container, by the possessor of a valid FOID. Under the Wildlife Code, it is unlawful to have or carry any firearm in or on any vehicle or conveyance unless unloaded and enclosed in a case.
    http://crime.about.com/od/gunlawsbystate/p/gunlaws_il.htm

4. kennylee

kennylee New Member

State:
    Missouri -
    Thanks Alan. Do you have a link or info on Missouri.

5. Kansas Tree Rat

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
  6. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Good post, and a needed one,,

I live in Arizona, here we can get CCW permits, much more user friendly, I also have a CCW from another state,, between them, I can carry in 26 states, concealed, legally. That's a lot of piece of mind..
    I'm not a big fan of open carry, seems to make a lot of folks nervous, so when folks are carryin' concealed, everybody else doesn't know how well protected they are!!!:roll_eyes:
    I agree with you on avoiding trouble, that's served me very well for a lot of years.
    thanks for your post..
    Another thing, is our politicians need to know our feelings, so, we need to be active in that aspect of our rights.

7. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    There are times when a citizen needs to defend and protect themselves. You should think about this and be prepared for anything. Next time you're at the Mall or fishing your favorite bank spot, take a look around. Ask yourself what you would do if that person over there came at you with a gun. If this were to happen, at that point it's fight or flight. Be ready. Stay safe.

8. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    About 6 weeks ago i came home at 130pm to find my neighbor standing out side on her driveway.Knowing something was not right I went to her and she said three guys had just tried to break into her house.Her and her husban are in their late 70's.
    When coming down the street I had just seen them but knew nothing was wrong at that time.

I jumped in my truck and called 911.After going three blocks I seen them walking down the sidewalk. I jumped out and approched them and talking at the same time with the 911 operator one of them stood his ground and said he would shoot my #$%^&%$^& A!!.

I'm 6'2 and weigh 270lbs but I'm 51 and no match for anyone carrying a gun.

As i backed off and the 911 operator telling me to not confront them that Police was one the way. I was wishing I had brought a gun.The last thing i would want to do is shoot someone but I do believe in protecting myself.
    What they had done was not life & death but was breaking and entering.Who knows what would of happened if they were not scared off.

The police came into the area from every dirrection and with my help caught two of them.

The one that got away two weeks later killed a young kid in a apartment that they say was a accident.

The two they caught were released.Both were brought to my house and my neighbors house that day to ID them now they are running free.Believe me my guns are loaded in my house.

9. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Thanks for your post, that's SCARY..

10. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Thanks for the post. I tell my wife she is not observant enough. It's the jar head in me. I'm always on guard!!

11. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    yep always be aware of your surroundings the terrain whos around you how to get out if needed. I aprove of kansas law open carry, concealed with permit or when hunting/fishing, with that i dont want or need a permit. i like to have mine when alone or going to kc alone or not. definatly needs to be a citizens right and choice to carry. taking away that right isnt gonna matter to a criminal who is gonna break the law anyway. they want to carry a gun to rob or kill you with they will still do it.

12. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
  13. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Folks the way things are going its going to get a lot worse a person has a right to protect himself and family i always carry my cell phone fishing

14. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    i will walk away if i can if i cant my taurus 9 is always on my side

15. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
  16. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I have to agree with tree rat,id rather be tried by 12 then carried by six,know what i mean.i have a permit and i carry everytime i go out cause you just never know what you will run into,could be people out to harm you or an animal you just never know.Ive had to pull my weapon twice over the years once while fishing,thank God i never had to pull the trigger.i think all law abiding citizens should carry.An armed society is a polite one.

17. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Call me a party pooper but i have to disagree with how you handled that.I dont think you should have went after them and confronted those guys,to me that was asking for trouble.What if those guys all had guns?I think you should have followed them from a distance while on the phone with 911 to get the police there.please know im not trying to jump on your case cause you were just trying to protect those close to you,i just thought i could give you an alternative then putting yourself in a bad situation if you didnt have to be you know?

18. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    Alan, I believe in the right to carry arms !!! But I am afraid of carrying myself as I am too much of a hot head. I think I would have the tendency to shoot then ask ?????'s. I choose to remove myself first and pray that I never WISH I had a firearm. Very good advise in your thread though !!!!!

19. billyum2

billyum2 New Member

State:
    Topeka,ks
    I go bank fishing alot and almost always have a fixed blade knife but sometimes take the 22 mag.pistol.My family questions why I need it to go fishing and the answers always the same I dont know who/what will show up and I'm usually away from roads and other ppl.
    I thought for the longest time I was too paraoid for doing this but like its been said better prepared than not.

20. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.

I agree I wouldn't of confronted them ,just follow at a safe distance.Let the law handle itin thier own way. The main thing I can't agree on is (the police brought them by so we could I D them. )Dumb move on thier part I think.Them turned them loose.Sec dumb move. JMHO