Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Winston, Indiana
4,666 Posts
The way I see it, every material in the universe exists because the right molecules came together in the right order and amounts and along with heat or pressure or time, became what they are.
Food is no different; just proteins, amino acids, sugar, minerals, fiber and all that good stuff in the right combination. One combination you have beef, change the combination and you have fish, change again and you have a tomato or a banana.
It’s logical to think that if we can learn the combinations, we should be able to “make” what we want.
Wood is nature’s composite and is a miraculous material but we have developed synthetic materials that have some superior qualities; how many of us still fish in a wooden boat.
There’s hundreds if not thousands of examples of us replacing the “natural” with a synthetic that is superior, from fishing line to hip replacements!
Ultimately, lab-grown food might be the only way to feed our ever increasing world population.
J. M. H. O.

…W

·
Premium Member
Bill, in OkC
1,466 Posts
The way I see it, every material in the universe exists because the right molecules came together in the right order and amounts and along with heat or pressure or time, became what they are.
Food is no different; just proteins, amino acids, sugar, minerals, fiber and all that good stuff in the right combination. One combination you have beef, change the combination and you have fish, change again and you have a tomato or a banana.
It’s logical to think that if we can learn the combinations, we should be able to “make” what we want.
Wood is nature’s composite and is a miraculous material but we have developed synthetic materials that have some superior qualities; how many of us still fish in a wooden boat.
There’s hundreds if not thousands of examples of us replacing the “natural” with a synthetic that is superior, from fishing line to hip replacements!
Ultimately, lab-grown food might be the only way to feed our ever increasing world population.
J. M. H. O.

…W
That sounds a LOT like something Sheldon Cooper would say.

·
Premium Member
Bill, in OkC
1,466 Posts
they are trying to put a wet corn milling facility here to do just that. corn meal and flavor you can have anything.
They've been doing it with soy for decades.

·
Premium Member
Bill, in OkC
1,466 Posts
At least you know who Sheldon Cooper is. 😀
One of my favorite shows on tv.
There are a lot of people who don'tunderstand the comedy of Big Bang Theory (they call it blasphemy).
Same with Young Sheldon.

I love both shows. Watch them evet time they're on.

·
Old Squeezer
22,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
At least you know who Sheldon Cooper is. 😀
One of my favorite shows on tv.
There are a lot of people who don'tunderstand the comedy of Big Bang Theory (they call it blasphemy).
Same with Young Sheldon.

I love both shows. Watch them evet time they're on.
I totally approve of both shows. I watch the re-runs on YouTube all the time.

On the original "lab meat" I do understand that a portion of my daily food is not naturally grown and is scientifically or chemically manipulated but I'm still having a hard time with the meat part. I eat beef, chicken, pork, and seafood and even Armour Potted meat food product but generic hamburger is hard to visualise.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The slippery slope here is percentages.
As many already know, a product can be a certain percent non-organic, and still be called FDA approved organic.

Same with meat. 80 percent real beef, 20 percent lab meat ground in with it. What percentage will the FDA allow for the butcher to not have to disclose there is lab meat in your meat loaf?

·
Old Squeezer
22,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sounds like Winston volunteers to be Mikey 🤔 🤓 :cool:
Winston is already suffering from culture shock. You cannot buy this in the UE.
Font Liquid Cone Food Logo

And the lab meat thing will never affect BIG SAM and anyone else in Arkansas because there are no plans to re-invent Racoon or opossums.

·
Premium Member
Bill, in OkC
1,466 Posts
Seems to me that there are a lot of products that have been downsized and prices increased since I was a kid.
From miscellaneous candy bars to packaged, processed meats.
And the only two things that haven't been downsized is 303 cans of various vegetables, loaves of bread, and miscellaneous soft drinks.
They can't hardly downsize a 12 can of Pepsi or a 1# packet of Oscar Mayer bologna.
Green peas and whole kernel corn still pretty much fill the can.
But, junk food (3Musketeers bars is a good example), though there are usually 2 to the package, candy bars are a lot smaller than when I was a kid. And the price went up from $0.50 per to (in some stores) $2.50 per.

To my way of thinking, that just isn't right.
Heck, I bought a Milky Way bar a couple weeks ago, $2.50, and it wasn't much bigger than the Halloween size bars.

That's my rant. Thanks for allowing it. 😀

1 - 20 of 20 Posts