MAYBE FRESH BAIT??? IDK

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by rob128146, May 22, 2008.

1. rob128146

rob128146 New Member

State:
    Rockwell, North Carolina
    OK HERE IT IS... I'M TRYING SOMETHING NEW TOMMORROW NIGHT?? I HAVE CAUGHT 25 BLUEGILL AND PLACED THEM ALL IN A SMALL BUCKET (WHOLE) IN THE FRIGE. IM GOING TO USE ALL OF THEM FOR CUT BAIT THIS WEEKEND. I DONT KNOW IF IT WILL WORK OR NOT BUT IM TRYING IT. I PLAN ON CUTTING THEM UP ON THE WATER WHEN IM READY TO FISH. LET ME KNOW IF YOU THINK THIS IS A GOOD IDEA OR IF I SHOULDNT EVEN DO IT. :eek:oooh:

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Can't hurt. If gills are there to eat in the body of water ya are gonna fish ya should do well. Catchin em so early may not help but they will be fresher than frozen. Sounds like its time for a bait tank project. LOL! Good luck to ya..

3. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Never tried that before. Ive always used them alive or fresh cut.

4. rob128146

rob128146 New Member

State:
    Rockwell, North Carolina
    YES IT IS TIME FOR A BAIT TANK PROJECT. KNOW WHERE I CAN FIND A AREATOR FOR IT?

5. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    FOR THE Flats, fresh is always best. The fresher the better and not frozen.

:0a16:

6. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i used to do the same thing except i would cut mine put them in a jar then put some anise oil on them then let them sit for a day in the fridge then go out and fish in the river usually it worked well for me

7. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    My bait tank is 65 gallon. I just bought one of the aireators for a 70 gallon aquarium from Walmart. It has two outlets. I bought a roll of the hose and 2 stones. Total price was about $20. I have had up to 40 gills in there and never had a problem with them. There are about 10 gills in there right now and 2 catfish waiting to be cleaned :smile2:. This setup won't work for shad but gills keep pretty easy.

8. tigdewalt

tigdewalt New Member

State:
    ky
    go to catfish billy's big cat diaries and there is a picture and directions for a real easy setup

9. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    The "bagged Bluegills" should work fine, especially if you are targeting Blues or Channels and they are not going to be in the fridge too long. I really do prefer to keep them alive until I am ready to use them. Doesn't always work like that though. I had to do this quite a bit this past winter and honestly, they were fine. What I don't like is that they tend to get gooey and the cut pieces don't stay hooked as well.

You can use just an aquarium aerator in your bait tank if you only need to keep them a couple days. But you will need to do water changes and the duration btetween changes depends on how many Bluegills you have. Long term storage you will have to get a good filtration system.

Well, looks like you gonna be hitting the water soon so... good luck!

10. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    I use a 10 gal orange water cooler. I pull it around the pond on a hand truck strapped with a bungee cord. The tank is not necessary when whether is not hot.
    I then put a wallly world aquarium aerator and hose in the tank in laundry room ($10). I sprinkle ice in there to keep water cool ocassionally. I have had them in there several days at a time.
    The more bait in the tank the more the water needs changing.
    I find that the 10 gallon water cooler is one of the cheapest insulated tanks that i could find.
    I killed alot of bait in the past and found out that a tank with bilge pump setup heats up water too much with out a fresh water exchange.
    Let us know what works for you.
    Where are you in NC? I am in Charlotte.
    Best of luck this weekend. I think I am going to breakaway one night this weekend.
    Lindsay

11. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    when we camp and i have some down time, i will catch bream and throw them in a ziploc bag in a cooler. no water in the bag. later that night or the next night i will use them as cut bait. they work fine like that, so i am sure yours will too.