Maybe a stupid question but......

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by field989, May 30, 2006.

1. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    why do they(the reel companies) say not to use a line stronger than recommended,

i use an abu garcia and 50lb power pro.... no problems yet...

2. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    50 pound power pro is about the size of 12 lb mono which is about perfect for a reel rated for 20 pound line! When I use 50 pound braid, my leader is 20 pounds and my drag is set around 12 pounds! I do think the 20 pound rating on my Penn 320LD is really conservitive and it performed well with 25 pound mono (drag still set at 12lbs)!

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Possibly because they know the strength of the reel componets, and if you overload the reel, your asking for stripped and damaged gears. If you do strip and damage the gears because you put 100 lb test line on a reel that clearly said 20 lb test, people won't know your dumba__ mistake is what damaged the reel, not that the reel was a bad design. The reel companies have reputations to uphold also. They don't want word of mouth to get out that their gears strip easily.

4. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    i think abu places them on there for line capacity. on what the reel will hold in that diameter. i just looked through my new 6500 c3 manual and it says nothing about using line rated higher than what the line capacity recomendations are. in fact it says i manual that, "filling with superlines such as fireline, spiderwire, and braided line will slip on your spool unless it is backed with moofilmant. or it has to be tape to spool with masking tape. ive caught a lot of big fish on my 6500 alot of 30-60 plus pouders never stripped a gear in my reals except for the shakespeares.

5. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    thanks alot,

i figured it was because it would like damage the spool(i know it will if load down a ton) or mess up the gears because of some reason, but thanks again for clearing it all up :big_smile:

6. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    I believe this is correct. Any of them that say not to go above a poundage are probably predicting that you are going to be really short on line if you do. You can use any sort of pound test that you want so long as you arent trying to match your drag to it. If you go and need to tighten your drag with a pneumatic drill, you need a bigger reel for what you're using :wink:

7. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I think Deltalover was coming close to another answer for this one. Many reels (especially spincast) won't perform well with lines above (or below) a certain diameter.

for all of the above reasons my Shimano Baitrunner 6500B will be spooled with 80# test braid (diameter of 20# test mono, the smallest line the reel was designed to handle). Using a 50# test leader, my drag will be set for 30# (the heaviest mono the reel was disigned for).

8. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    It is done for 2 reasons #1 is the line capacity #2 the other is the drag. With the line capacity already being explained I will try to cover the drag issue. The Drag is mostly designed to slow a fish down and not to totally stop it. Most people will use it to try to totally stop a fish and in doing so this will cause the drag washers to heat up. If they heat up to much they will fuse together and cause the reel to lock up and if the line is to strong it will strip gears and break parts. I have seen this happen many times with guys out fishing for tarpon and sharks. A reel that recommends 20 pound test will normally have a max drag of 12 pound on a dead weight scale and if you put say 50 pound power pro on the reel and get spooled then you have cased the drag to over heat as well as take the chance of warping the spool when the fish hits the end of the line and could also damage the main drive gear or worm gear. You will see more of this type of stuff saltwater fishing than fresh water fishing.

Also if the reel is rated for 20 pound test and you put 50 pound line on it and have to send it in for warranty work you have violated the warranty and they can hit you with a hefty bill. I have seen ABU do this to a guy I know who used 60 pound power pro on a BIG Game 9000 and the first time he used it he almost got spooled by a big shark before the reel locked up. He sent the reel back and they sent him a letter informing him that due to the fact the line he was using was twice the recommend line test he had voided the warranty and the repair of the reel would cost him ( I think it was) $118 plus shipping.