Maybe A Lucky Find In Old Barn

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by POLECAT, May 17, 2008.

1. POLECAT

POLECAT New Member

State:
    MISSOURI SPRINGFIELD
    Guys, I live in the Ozarks of Missouri and a friend of mine wanted one of my handmade knives so we did some trading for a couple old rods and reels that were in an old barn on the farm he bought. Granted they were very dusty and the eyelets on the rods had rotten thread but one reel was a penn 60 Longbeach and the other is a Penn Senator 4/0 with a marlin design on one side. Both reels are black and seem to work fine after just rinsing in the sink so I ripped the old line off and put some 30 on them just to see how they'd do. Other than the fact that neither is level wind I could probably learn to use them if they are not collector reels ?? Should I put them to use or not ?
    I got lucky and purchased a gold ambassador 9000 that I use to cat with now that Bass Pro had in a tent sale a couple years ago and I'm thinking it was marked down to less than 70.00. Let me know what you guys think. Paul

2. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    www.pennparts.com

Go to the above web site and search everything listed on the left of the page thoroughly.You can find your reels,manuals,hints and parts.

I have a back post on disassembly on the BOC.On search,peewee and post.I would suggest you read it if you have never disassembled one and heed the part about springs!

I think you have a great find,but I don't think they are that valuable.10 year olds learned to cast them so I am sure you can if you wish to spend the time.They should handle anything you have in Missouri including a lost Bull Shark unless you have Gators over 12 feet.Great reels for a trip to salt water.They will most likely need cleaning and lubing if they set for years.If you decide that you don't want to do it,both Penn or a fellow in Columbia SC both have great reputations for a good job at reasonable prices.

PM me if you need anything that you can think of.

I envy you your find and your knife making skills!I have some very old slicing knives made from the old "Pit Saws" left over when people quit sawing boards in a pit.I love them,but wish that I had the saws.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like a good find to me. congrats

4. POLECAT

POLECAT New Member

State:
    MISSOURI SPRINGFIELD
    Thank You, I'll go to that site and check it out. I may just decide to put these to use, I tend to be on the nastalgic side anyway. I like things the way they used to make them - solid. I even make my knives the old fashioned way, deer antler handles and high carbon steel -- same steel as the old hickory's are made of. thx Paul

5. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I don't know the age of em or the collector value, but I bet you could use em for the rest of your life if taken care of. I've got some over 35 years old. Penn may not be the most expensive, but I believe it is reliable. Whether you decide to display them or use them, enjoy em.

6. POLECAT

POLECAT New Member

State:
    MISSOURI SPRINGFIELD
    I was thinking along the same lines as you. I think I'll just watch for a couple rods to mount them on and use them once in awhile. :roll_eyes:

7. Defender

Defender New Member

State:
    Hastings, Nebraska
    You've picked up some fine reels there, Paul. Congrats! With your Senator and your Model 60 Longbeach you have two of the best that Penn ever made (in my opinion, of course).

With proper care and servicing they should last several lifetimes. You can get lots of good advice on them in here. I know I have learned a lot from everybody.

8. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Those are workhorses,a couple of new drag washers and some oil and grease after a little scrubbing and they'll be good to go as long as there not damaged.

9. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    You should take a look inside and see if there is corrosion, especially on the Senator. Those have bearings, I think, and you may need to work them a bit to loosen them up if they are not rusted completely. Both are good reels, especially the Senator, for the big ones... I'd take them apart and have a look. There are tons of resources for schematics, parts, etc, as Peewee pointed out, and do watch out for the springs. Those dog springs love to vanish in the middle of a rebuild.

I enjoy working on my Penn reels, and just finished refurbishing a a Penn 180 for my 7 yr old son. Now he needs to learn to cast it, and he is eager to learn, especially after he saw the insides of it and how well it was built.

Enjoy that good deal you got, and I'd definitely put them to good use.

10. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    The "Senator's" have bushing type bearings.The Special Senators have the sealed Stainless ball type bearings.Bushings for maximum sturdiness,durability and longevity.The balls are for maximum smoothness and freer to cast.There are no free rides with bearings.Penn let you choose.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.

11. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    The bushings will be easier to "revive" then bearings if rusted. Thanks, PeeWee, for the clarification.

That's not a Special Senator by any chance? I have a couple of Squidders (with bearings) and you can tell a difference between bearings and bushings when casting...