May have found boat

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Bill in SC, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Folks, it's no secret I have been trying to find a larger boat in my price range. I want a boat big enough to sleep on comfortably, and I can enclose a portion of the boat for winter fishin'. While going through my sources today, I found one I think will suit my needs in function and price. I have been admiring Peglegrebs Fishin' Ski Barge made by Dilks in Arkansas. (now out of business I think) These boats are a FULL, SIX feet wide on the floor. Peg's is a 15 footer, and has a crazy amount of room! It is SO comfortable to fish out of. Today, I found a TWENTY foot Fish'n' Ski barge for 3K. The boat was originally bought and used as a fire boat on Badin lake in NC. It's always been kept under a shelter, and never seen salt water. It has a '91 Merc 200 on it that only has about 150 hours on it. I POKE AROUND on the river anyhow, so hopefully fuel consumption shouldn't kill me. If it did, I could downsize the engine. I talked to the guy who had it, and you can tell when someone is telling you the truth. This guy sounded A-OK. I plan to try and secure funds for it tomorrow, and go look at it asap. He said it hadn't been used in four years, but when he went to crank it, it fired right up. I realize I may have to put a water pump in it since it has sat up for a while. My brother is an ACE Mercury mechanic, so he could help me if needed. Any opinions on this deal?
    Bill in SC

2. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Sounds good-hope it works out for ya.
    Let me know if I can help on the rigging or the maiden voyage.
    Lindsay

3. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    What was that guys name and number again? :wink:

Hope it's your dream boat and send me an invite for a fishing trip and a will give it a personal review! :smile2:

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Count on it, Jon!

Bill in SC

5. CarolinaCatJack

CarolinaCatJack New Member

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    I hear ya, Bill!! Sounds like you've got a weiner there.....If you're used to fishing a 15 footer and think it's got a crazy amount of room in it, then you might as well get you a cot to set up on that 20 footer. You're gonna wanna sleep on it.....That's why I'm excited about the possibility of getting a 23ft Skiff.....ROOM ROOM ROOM!!!!!

6. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Sounds like you two guys are planning on moving out? :eek:oooh:

And who can sleep while they are on the water? :smile2:

7. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    The only way to really test out a boat like that is to bring it up here to WV!!:wink:

I'll be waiting!!

8. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Sounds like a heck of a deal Bill!! Go for it! What do you have to loose besides the hours sleeping and not fishing?LOL!!

9. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Sounds like a deal. Go for it!!!

10. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Congrats Bill, A 20'pontoon is excellent i think. You need to stretch out fishing all night and be comfortable. I like the fact you have the larger motor, I had an 80hp on a bass buggy years back, but today i would want more hp than i thought was needed. Good Luck Fishing!

11. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    That sounds like a good deal to me, too, Bill. I'd definitely have to take a hard look at that one, if it were me. Then you can take the whole field on a victory lap at the tournament on saturday. :smile2:

12. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <.If you're used to fishing a 15 footer and think it's got a crazy amount of room in it, then you might as well get you a cot to set up on that 20 footer. You're gonna wanna sleep on it.....That's why I'm excited about the possibility of getting a 23ft Skiff.....ROOM ROOM ROOM!!!!!>

Absolutely! there is NO substitute for room on a catsmakin' machine. Yep, I can set a cot SIDEWAYS in this machine.

< Congrats Bill, A 20'pontoon is excellent i think. >

It's NOT a pontoon, but a skiff type boat. See enclosed pic of what a Fishin' Ski Barge boat looks like. This is the exact same boat as the one I am looking at, except the one I'm looking at is fire engine red, with red carpet. :eek:oooh: I have my Harley project up for sale to offset the cost without going into debt. The guy said he would hold it for me.

Bill in SC

Attached Files:

13. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    I Like it! Guess the red paint and carpet will mean your on fire! :smile2:

Bunkbeds?

14. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    We peedeecatmasters try to stay "hot"!! :smile2: Doesn't always work that way though. :wink:

Bill in SC

15. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    good looking boat, sounds like a good deal

16. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <Then you can take the whole field on a victory lap at the tournament on saturday. :smile2:>

I could probably take everyone on a victory lap in a canoe. James said our team, and another team from here were the only ones he knew of coming! Everybody's deer hunting! Are you coming, Tommy?
    Bill in SC

17. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Bill, I hope to fish, but a couple of things are still hanging right now. Probably won't know for sure until Friday.

18. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I SURE hope to see ya, Tommy!!!!!!!!!!!
    Bill

19. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    That thing should fly with a 200 on it. Sounds like a great boat. Good Luck.

You guys should come up to Wylie this Saturday and fish with the CCC.....

20. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    No interest in speed as I rarely go fast on the river as I am always glued to the sonar at slow speeds. My brother said it ought to run nearly 60mph. I pinch pennies so hard Abe Lincoln says "ouch", so I will only open it up to clear the carbs occasionally. BTW: seems to me like a wide, flat boat would be dangerous to run fast. It might flip backwards in the wind. I think all my Harley stuff is about spoken for, and I hope to get the boat first to middle of next week. I'll definitely be making some tourneys at Wylie, just not this one.
    Bill in SC