May finally bite the bullet and buy a new toy.

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by derbycitycatman, Jun 17, 2008.

1. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Ive been contemplating many new toys lately, auto clay target thrower, sks or ak, a tumbler with all the goodies and a ruger markIII or 22/45. Ive about made up my mind to go with the Ruger, Ive seen I can get a new blued model one for about $220 with out the tax. Since Ive shot a friends Ive fell in love with this potential squirrel gun. Im thinking I may plunk down a lil more and go for a stainless barrel. Does anyone have one of these and do you think the stainless shoots better and is worth the extra dough? By the way I could probably spring for the Ruger 22 and maybe a cheap tumbler, any suggestions. The tumbler Ive been looking at is a frankford arsenal and a friend will be in the COlumbia, MO area so may be able to save on shipping.

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Probally never get to the good of a stainless barrel in .22 in your lifetime:big_smile:
    You got to push alot of .308 rounds through a stainless tube to get to the good. More then I'll probally ever push through mine.

But I love stainless.

My next will be blued though.
    The Henry golden boy in .17. Love the line of those Henry stocks.

3. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    You'll love the Ruger 22/45. They're alot more accurate than what you pay for. I had one, and like an idtiot, I traded it off for something I thought I needed more. It's a fun little gun to plink with and has plenty of accuracy for hunting small game.

I had the short barrel model and was at the range with it the first time. We were shooting rifles at 150 yards. Well, being too lazy to move up, I started plinking away at the steel pepper popper we had set up. After a few rounds to get on target, we could hit the steel pretty much every shot with the little pistol from 150 yards! That's more that what the pistol was designed for, but it's nice to know it will do it if ya gotta, lol. It's one you'll be able to hand down to your kids and they'll be able to hand down to theirs. Go for it!

4. Guns & Cockpits

Guns & Cockpits New Member

State:
    California
    You just can't go wrong with a 22/45, but if you don't have one yet, you may even want to think about a 10/22 first. The great thing about either of them is that they're as reliable as rimfire guns come, simple design, and you can shoot them all day long for under $20. Not many guns you can say that about these days.

I have a blued MKIII 22/45 that I wouldn't trade for anything. You get more gun than you pay for with it, that's for sure.

5. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Ive got a 10/22, i think its the first or second gun I bought myself, great plinker. As of now will probably be happy with the blued but stainless just looks so good.:dribble: Whatever way I go I think ill be happy. My stepdads got a mark II government target model. I tried buying it off him but he wants to customize it with an aluminum barrel. Will be keeping my eyes and ears open for any sales, deals or promotions from Ruger.

6. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    I have stainless Ruger 10-22 with with a 3-9+30 Bushnell scope on it and I can't say enough about that little gun. hear where I live we have ground squirrels by the thousands, and Most of it is open land for hunting, I bet I have killed a pickup load of squirrels with this gun. But my son just bought me a Marlin VR 17 for fathers day. and I have a Bushnell Eliet 3200 3-9+40 scope coming for it. and I can hardly wait to get it out in the middle of all them ground squirrels and Coyotes.

7. Guns & Cockpits

State:
    California
    Since we're talkin' 10/22s a little bit, and I have the photo uploaded, here's the 10/22 I built the wifey in order to sweeten her up on coming to the range with me a little more often:

She loves it. It's a tack driver. The scope is slight overkill, but it'll drill clay pigeons lying in a bush at 130 yards consistently.

Attached Files:

8. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California

9. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Brian I got a Mark 1 with a low serial number and it's still chucking brass.
    I like the Lyman vibrating tumblers.
    :big_smile:

10. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Slightly???????? That's quite a set up you put together. With that scope you could shoot a fly at 75 yds. I love the custom stock as well. Nice work!!!

Richard

11. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Did you custom the trigger assy too?

12. Guns & Cockpits

State:
    California
    I added an aftermarket Volquartzen trigger assembly, so if that's considered custom, then yea. I hear it has some real advantages over the stock trigger assembly, but to be honest, I replaced the stock trigger guard when I first bought the gun, so it was never fired with the stock assembly so I wouldn't know.

That gun was taken apart and re-assembled in its current configuration the day it came home. It was never fired until it looked exactly as it looks now. I still have the original stock, barrel, and trigger sitting in my garage untouched. No idea what I'm going to do with them.

13. whodaman

whodaman New Member

State:
    Des Moines Iowa
    well get a another stock and make a another one