May depths

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by Copeland, May 5, 2008.

1. Copeland

Copeland New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Hey everybody,
    i was just wondering what depths all of you out on the local rivers are having any luck at. i dont think its warm enough for them to be up in the shallows, and i'm new to being in the boat. i've been a bank fisher for years, but finally made the jump. any info on bait, rigs, and depth will be GREATLY appreciated.
    thanks,

2. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Baits, shad skip jack. Depth I am more looking for structure myself. and it depends on the body of water if your river that you are fishing averages 75 feet then its going to be different then where I fish which has an average of 30 to 40 feet. Look for the right structure and anchor up on a channel ledge and throw two lines into the shallows two straight back and two into the channel. If you start getting all your bites in the channel then all my lines would be put in the channel. It all comes down to TOW time on water.

3. rsimms

rsimms New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Cumberland Cat said it well... it really depends on the type water you are in. I often fish water on some parts of the river that is 50-65 feet deep. And on another section of the river this weekend... we were catching blues in the 10 to 20 lb. class in eight feet of water. On light spinning tackle (8 lb. test line) that is some kind of fun! :big_smile:

Go see: http://www.catfish1.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=484 for the weekend fishing reports.

4. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Drew, my rig consists of an egg sinker (size depends on current, etc.) above a barrel swivel. I use a 1-2' leader with an 8/0 circle hook. If you are after Blues and Channels use cut bluegill, shad, skipjack, carp, etc. Flatheads prefer live bait. For example, a bluegill hooked behind dorsal fin. Just try multiple depths. Ideally, anchored in a position that allows you to place baits in different depths. You can also pull up anchor and drift different depths. Good luck!

5. Copeland

Copeland New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I've been doing alot on the stones river as i live in murfreesboro. i've been trying the east and west forks, but the deepest i've been around there is 17-20 feet. i went bass fishing where the 2 forks converge, and it got down to 38 at one point, and stayed between 20 and 30 while i was in the middle of the channel. i saw a place under an overpass, where there were large trees (at least a tree i could see) submerged, and stuck i'm guessing on the pillar of the bridge, and it was near the bank where my girlfriend caught a few blue gill. i'm going out tonight for a while, and am trying to decide if i want to go there, or other places with log jams i saw way up river.