May 7th Potomac River

Discussion in 'MARYLAND RIVER TALK' started by krabaholic, May 8, 2007.

1. krabaholic

krabaholic New Member

State:
    PA
    Launched out of Fort Washington on Monday morning. The weather was great until I turned the corner at the Fort. I didn't realize how rough that place gets with some wind. I tryed to anchor up on a couple of spots but the anchor wouldn't hold. So I practiced with my cast net in some coves, and caught my first shad with the net so it wasn 't a total loss.

2. Billy Tucker

Billy Tucker New Member

State:
    Manasszs Va
    Sorry that you could not get some fishing in. Certian winds/tides make certian spots hard to fish but there are plenty other areas fishable. Study a chart and figure out where the wind lee's are from a giving wind direction. Went you cant fish ft washington you can usally fish ft Belfoir or indian head. Tere are 40lb fish in numbers from below potomac creek to DC so there are many options on fish spots. Most people on this board fish upriver but there are a few silent others that do very well way down river also.

3. pitbull

pitbull New Member

State:
    maryland
    When wind is really bad I like to hide around the WW bridge, the bride helps to keep the waves down . Stay tight to jones point I think think think that is what it is called ,right below the bridge good spot and great spot in the wind. Well one thing u got one up on me and that is the casting net thing still working on it. Well good fishing boys.

4. krabaholic

krabaholic New Member

State:
    PA
    Pitbull I was going to make the run up there but I went south instead since it was so rough. I stopped at two spots that looked to be calmer but I still couldn't hold. I guess it is time to invest in a bigger anchor. All the spots that were protected didn't seem to have the depth that I was lookin for. I will definitly make the run to the woodrow next time. Thanks for the info guys I still am not real familiar with the river so the info helps out alot.

5. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    yep i feel your pain...i got the wind burn on sunday fishin here in the south...my anchor held but then again it wieghs 42 lbs and then some with mud stuck to it and what not...congrats on the shad catch...bait don't get no fresher than that:big_smile: