May 25 Mississippi River North of St. Charles Co.

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by cpalombo, May 26, 2007.

1. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    Went out of Cruivre Island last night.

We got out late (I 70 was like a parking lot yesterday). The island ramp is back up and the mud is cleared out (you do need 4X4 to get in there).

We got out to my bait spot and caught a few hard won shad (where did all my shad go? It is like the shad are working against me lately). I still can not throw a 6 foot net. I need one of those Spiderman wrist-activated-throw-nets from Bell Labs.

So... were over a new hole by 7:30pm, fished until 2:00am and caught one small blue and one big-daddy drum. I think we missed several fish. I also got a hit from either a big catfish or a small chain saw, not sure which one there. It was big enough to clip 70% of my shad, and leave the remaining 30% as shad-burger. It was the one setup of my three that did not have a stinger hook. Drat! It is like the fish were given the memo on my sinister new stinger hook plans.

In other news, I found a rock on the way in. Not just any rock, a special Limestone rock that sharpens up your propeller into three equal sized nubs. Rock-on! I am going to use the aluminum siding off of my shed to fix it this weekend. Is there a thread on how to do an in-house prop rebuild and save $100.00? I will rivet on three phone books in the place of my three missing blades.

Thanks to Ed (aka: BajaCoop) for the great conversation. Fishing stories shared over baited rods always make for a nice week's end. No fish, but a great time as always.

CP

2. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Thanks for the fishing report. Was wondering how you did .For some reason for thistime of the year Shad seem hard to find.I got about 20 yesterday off in some back waters but none in my usually spot off the walk way at the river front. Seem to be in shallower water. Least wise yesterday anyway.

3. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    I know what you mean,I hit something in the middle of dardeene creek at the mouth of the river that darn near stoppped me dead in my tracks,tore the lower unit up cost me 750.00 for a used one.The fishing trips can get real expensive.This was in the middle of the channell,someone told me that was an old clubhouse pillar.That didn't make any sense being in the middle like that but it sure shocked me.I had been through there probably 20 times before that with no problem but the water was low that time.

4. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    Well I am back from my parents house for the weekend so I will go ahead and put in my 2 cents.

First off thanks a bunch to Chris for letting me tag along.

This was my first trip fishing out on the Mississippi(as I am confined to the bank for now) and I really enjoyed it. The fishing was a little slow but we did catch a nice little blue and a big ole drum. We had several other runs and hits but they must have been smaller fish that did not full take the bait(except for that one that bit chris's 6 inch shad right behind the head)

5. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    Any time bro. I had a good time, and the company makes the fishing even better.

CP

6. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    What, is this some kind of payback for some of my posts? Here I am at work at the Ministry of Arguments trying to be all serious and curmudgeon-like... all the while I can hardly stifle my laughter reading about the prop-nubbing properties of special limestone rocks and psychic chainsaw fish. Wicked funny, and a solid fishing report to boot.

Some folks on here apparently don't cotton to reading funny stories (translated to yankee-speak: look down upon humor) or don't want to admit they've got a funny bone. For those of us (and I'm speaking for myself here) who don't catch gigantic fish on every cast, we have to rely upon humor to fill in all the time "The Others" are towing their gigantic coelacanths and plesiousaurs around the river basin and pumping their fists. Meanwhile, I caught a bullhead. :wink:

Personally, I applaud anyone who can laugh at shredding their prop in a futile attempt to mine underwater gemstones (look for granite next time)...or when getting your only rig w/out a stinger hook mauled like a Ba$$-O-Matic.

7. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    Mining underwater Gem Stones! Now that is funny! Cube, I want to hang out with you and just crack jokes for an hour. We can record our jokes and sell the CD on Catfish1. We will call the album "Cubedweller and CP - Digesting our Inner Child".

And yes, I can laugh, nay, must laugh at my own: 1) misfortune, 2) arrogance, 3) ignorance, and 4) gross miscalculation of the river bed material. Darn elecronic grey-line. My Eagle fish finder was really deceptively mud-like “grey” above that rock! I swear. (It must have been granite, the greyist of all the rocks.)

Besides, I was so embarrassed that when Ed "BajaCoop" asked me at the dock if I just blew my $200.00 propeller a mere 30 seconds before the end of our fishing trip, I wanted to say "NO! I bought it with the special flared-out sound-inhibiting aluminum prop fray." I think that all I could actually get out was "who... me... this... nooooo! No, certainly not... no. It was an anavoidable log out there in the river. totally unavoidable. certainly a log. Please dont tell anyone." I could not bring myself to admit that I was a big fat moron that blew a perfectly good $200 prop to avoid getting mud on his wife's floor mat.

It has been 7 days, and I still get the pukie watermouth with involuntary painful exhale when I think about the prop. Some time you have to laugh... if at least to choke back the vomit.

It hurts! It hurts! Nurse!

CP

8. BajaCoop

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    hahahahahahahahhahahaahahhahahahahahha

9. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    The area around Cuiver Island is a place best explored carefully and slowly until you learn where all the prop benders are. They are more forgiving at 3 mph than 30.

10. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    Might this funny bone business be contagious? I swear I heard someone laughing.

I can see it now...after the DVD release (I'm thinking bigger than just CD) we'll be hired to provide the comedy relief for all the major tournaments. It'd be like being a minstrel, only I'll be far less likely to be killed and eaten like most minstrels.

The way I look at it is if I can't catch fish all the time then maybe I'll be able to make beer/milk shoot out your nose. I'm not suggesting that you mix beer and milk (especially out on the water, folks), or that each nostril supplies one of each and is diverted by the septum -- I'm just saying that I'm flexible in my audience. Not only that, but I do "high brow" and "low brow". I can do boardroom humor as well as bathroom humor. I'm like a switch hitter with a broken bat.

So what if the "State of Missouri" thinks I'm a "danger to society" and has me "locked up" in a "mental ward" so I'll "get better". What do they know? Maybe the "judge" wasn't so smart after all? Ok, just kidding. That only happened like once or at most, four times last year. Shhh...they're bringing me my crayons now. The red ones taste best.

11. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    Hey Mike,

I am sorry but I have to disagree with you here on your "speed versus forgiveness" algorithm....

I would judge this particular rock to have been totally unforgiving, even at the minimal speed of "I was just standing there minding my own business". In fact, I was attempting to power up onto the bank when the thug assaulted my boat, unprovoked! If you don't count the lateral up and down movement of my prop down onto the crown of the rock (the hardest part!) then I was doing zero when I hit it. A pathetic and rare "zero"!

I have been an evangelical minister for 9 years, 3 of which in full time chaplaincy. I am a trained pastoral councilor. I know a bit about unforgiveness. In my trained opinion... this rock was unforgiving, angry, bitter, and full of resentment... as I slowly melted my propeller across its capable teeth at less than 3mph. Help us, Dr. Phill.

CP

12. 3dukmn

3dukmn New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hey guys -

Was this rock on the Cuiver Island Slough boat ramp then?? I haven't put out there yet this year. I live in O'Fallon, and this ramp is like 10 minutes from my house. It is the one I typically favor all summer. Was this rock hidden well then?

I think I'll drive out there tomorrow night and look things over...I'm ready to get cattin! I'll be putting in just below th Alton dam though on Saturday...I need bait!!!

Thanks for the report.

13. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    Todd,

If you have a cast net, you won't have any problem getting shad below Alton dam (Melvin Price). Just hit the mouth of first slew as you go down the river on your right. You may even catch a few Asians to round out your offering. I did manage to pick a walleye, several white bass, drum, small channel cats and a gar out of the cast net as well.

14. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    If you were at the C.I. MDC ramp, then yes, there is a rock on the downstream side of the ramp that most boaters make the acquaintance of eventually. Some people have unsuccessfully tried to get the MDC to remove it. Like many, I use it because it is the closest Miss. ramp to my house. It's a good place to meet oldtimers and other interesting folk. If you haven't yet, download some Nav. maps of pool 26. The upper pool is particularly bad for wing dams about prop depth under water. The maps show their locations.:big_smile:

15. BajaCoop

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    This rock was on the upstream side I believe(right side of tamp looking towards water.)

16. 3dukmn

3dukmn New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks - I'll be watching out for it.

Fishing in Alton tomorrow morning for bait. Then I'll be out of that ramp almost exclusively during the summer. If you see a Blue F-150 with a 20' Sea Ark/90 hp Merc rigged for cattin, say hello. Always up to meet new folks.

17. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    It is most certainly on the upstream side, about a foot or two off the path of the launch. About 1.5 feet down... looking.... waiting....

CP

18. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Are we talking about the same ramp? The current on the Mo. side goes from left to right as you face the water. Unless it went for a walk, the rock is located on the right side of the ramp as you face the water. Most boaters bank their boats on the upstream side as a result.

19. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    The currant does flow down river from left to right at the Cuivre Island ramp. A good friend warned me of the prop eating rock many of year ago but pool 26 has brought me to know the prop shop people on a first name basis… That rock over the years has taken out more props than the red barron planes. Now CP… :smile2: the brain after it’s been on zepplin for any period of time makes one not quite right or even delirious… :lol: Up the river is on the left, down the river is to the right on the Mississippi from Missouri. I couldn’t resist brother!!! LOL:lol::lol:
    I can say this for anyone fishing this pool is that there are none faster at changing props. :roll_eyes:

20. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    How big is this rock? If the MDC won't take care of it perhaps we can remove it with a little elbow grease, duct tape and granny knots? If the rock won't be moved then perhaps we can mark it with a jug or something...that we can get caught in our props and break something else!