May 18th Fishing Report

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by cpalombo, May 19, 2007.

1. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    Went out last night at 5:00pm north of St Charles County. Water temp was 67 to 69. It was totally clear night with a ¼ moon. The temp dropped from 75 at evening to about 55 degrees by 2 in the morning. Drove back in the dark, more on that in my next post that I have titled "Boating in the inky night darkness, good times."

We were anchored atop a 10 foot hump/sunken island that dropped down to about 32 feet along a massive deep run. Bait was fresh and live shad. In total, we boated 6 fish between 8:15 and 9:45pm, with double that number of hits and misses. We started out with a 7 lb blue (my PB up till that point) and steadily caught larger and larger fish through the rush. I will let DWB tell his story about the biggest of the night (don’t want to steal his thunder)… but, I will say that there about a 10 second moment when our biggest fish of the night was in my hands, and I was uncertain about if I could get it over the gunwale of the boat.

The night was full of PB’s in the blue cat category. My PB was something around 20 lbs. As far as I was concerned, mine was a sea monster that ate manhole covers and children for a living. Pictures coming soon.

2. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Way to go!!! Where were you? I have yet been able to catch anything this year and here you go bragging about all these new PB's, thanks for making a fella feel terrible:tounge_out::tounge_out::tounge_out::tounge_out::tounge_out:

Just kiddin'!!! I'm just a little jealous is all! I am going to the Alton Dam this afternoon with a buddy and his family and mine...I just hope to get a few in the boat finally this year!!

3. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    As Chris said it was an incredible night for sure! The blues were feeding in force (25-30 feet of water). Chris had the first fish soon after we got set up. It was a scrapper at around 5 pounds and provided a nice start to the evening. We were a little worried that we might be in a hole full of these 5 pounders with no big fish but decided to stay because,after all, a night filled with catching 5# fish can be pretty darn fun.

Thankfully we stayed because the fish only got bigger as the night went on. Chris caught the majority of fish last night to include his new PB that would go right about twenty (he caught lots of them this size).

Then between 10 and 11 pm my pole went wild with line being ripped out. I grabbed the pole and the fight was on. When I finally got this guy to the surface next to the boat our eyes about popped out of our heads. It looked like a darn whale. Our net was to small to net him so Chris wrestled him over the gunwale by his barbs (that were like broom handles). Unfortunately, we did not have a scale with us but my previous PB blue cat was 37lbs and this fella absolutely SMOKED him. I'm just going to say over 40 but this guy very well could have been in the 50-55 lb range (you guys be the judge when we get the pictures up).

What a thrill! I can't wait to get out and catch his mama! I'm happy to report that all of the fish we were blessed to catch last night made it safely back into the water for another BOC member to catch some day.

4. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    We caught a dozen dinks and a 35 pound blue on the Ohio today for the Cabelas Tournament. There were a few teams hit the Mississippi, however most teams that did well fished the Ohio. Mississippi River is still a mess.

5. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Great job busting the fish guys. Wheres those pics?

6. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Way to go guys, way to go!!! I went out this evening...well I almost didn't make it...I was on my way to there, when I noticed in my side mirror that the left wheel on the trailer was smoking:eek:oooh::eek:oooh::eek:oooh: I quickly pulled over only to discover that the bearings in the hub were SHOT!!! No longer in existance / gone...forever!!!:eek:oooh::eek:oooh::eek:oooh: Thankfully I had tools and a floor jack with me, and Bass Pro was not to far away.

After a short interlude....1.5 hours....I was back in business with new bearings and on my way to the ramp!!!

I launched and had absolutely zero problems finding bait...infact I threw the net only three times and had to throw bait back into the river!!! I mistook this as a good sign that maybe, just maybe that the catfish would be biting, after all CPALOMBO AND DWB reported a Great night of fishing!! I was completely disappointed...all I caught was a single drum...I know I know, it's nice to just get out there and all that...but I do like to catch fish!! I would really like to catch some of those catfish too!!:roll_eyes::roll_eyes: I have no IDEA what, if anything I am doing right / wrong...I just can't seem to get into those darn fish, no matter where I try. Shallow, deep, by the shore, behind the dykes, in the ripples, you name it, I've tried it!!!!! I had two big bites tonight but it was gone before i could even get the rod out of the holder!!

It is getting down right depressing...I have spent SOOOOOOOOOOO much time on the river this year that even if I didn't have a dam clue what I was doing...one would think I could get lucky and catch at least ONE!!!! But not so, I have nothing, NOTHING to show for it!!

Sorry guys........................................................whew!!! I am just venting out some steam...I really am beginning to doubt myself as a fisherman! It's driving me crazy:dribble::dribble::dribble: I just don't know what else I can do differently, I really don't, like I said, I am beginning to loose confidence in my abilities and am second guessing myself... I used to have hope and actually believed I would catch fish before I got on the river. Now...before I even pull out of the driveway I begin having negative thoughts, I actually say "why bother, I'm not going to catch anything anyway" I know it's bad but when you get beat up so many times it gets harder to think positive!!!

Sorry fellas...I don't mean to be so negative...I guess I am going to need to hook up with you Chris or you Dan so you can mend a broken fisherman!!:lol::wink:

7. CarolinaCats

CarolinaCats New Member

State:
    Rural Hall
    Way to go fella's! I was wanting to go fishing this weekend so bad. But had a taxidermy competition to attend (3rd place on a deer mount). Maybe next weekend or maybe even this coming week sometime!

8. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Glad to hear that you had such a good time. Also congrats on the PB!

9. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You are trying way to hard. Go get you a subway sandwich and kick back and enjoy just being out there. You know once you sit down to eat and relax, you will always get a bite! Otherwise, have Cuz do his catfish war dance and this curse will be over! I hear that he even caught fish today.. So it is getting better, just dont get to stressed out about it and just have fun...

10. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Chris and Dan, congrats on the good night. On the other hand I just got back from the Mississippi a few minutes ago. We fished for about 6 hrs without a bite.(imagine that!!:tounge_out:) I'll say one thing, it's a pain running 15 miles up a trash filled river in the dark!

11. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    Bad news guys.

I just got back from Walgreens to find that the pictures (all 4 pictures of my two PB blues, and 10 pictures of Dan's monster blue) did not come in. They were totally unviewable. My disposable camera was about 1.5 years old, and I think that old camera rather than poor light was the problem. It is a heart breaker.

Take my advice, keep a digital camera with you when you fish. You do not want to miss a time like that.

Anyhow...

CP

12. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    sorry about the pictures,but that cant take away the great day.Congrats:big_smile:

13. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    That is a shame that your camera was no good, anyway it's the memories that count. Sounds like you'd better invest in a digital camera and some batteries. I think the only thing more depressing than that is, we went out last night, had fresh gizzard shad and cut carp for bait, and fished one of my best holes and didn't get a bite. We then got back at the boat ramp about midnight, and there's a guy fishing there with a stringer full of nice fish. He asked us "What are you guys using for bait?.. Them little baby shad you buy at Wal-Mart, because that is what I'm using" I guess having thousands invested in equipment dosen't mean a thing.:tounge_out:lol.

14. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I guess having thousands invested in equipment dosen't mean a thing.lol.

Boy.....you said it Gary!! :roll_eyes:

15. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Where abouts were you guys fishing...What was the bait of choice? I am just wondering because next weekend me and a few buddies are going to set up camp on a sandbar and do nothing but fishing...We do this every Memorial Day weekend! Thanks for the help in advance! Congrats on your awesome night on the river! Good Luck!

16. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    We fished a couple of spots north of O Fallon in the 6 miles below the dam. There are great holes all over that area. There is a 40-45 foot hole south of Crievre Island where I have marked a lot of BIG fish on the graph. Right next to a bunch of homes on stilts.

CP