May 18 All Nighter

Discussion in 'LOCAL MICHIGAN TALK' started by bwanatony, May 2, 2007.

1. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    So, do we have any interest in a group outing Friday, May 18?

I know a couple spots on the Grand where we could beach boats and fish from shore, maybe have a fire... cook some food... flats & channels... Hmmmmmmm?

2. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    I think I'm going to wait til June!
    Sparky

3. Whiskerwhacker

Whiskerwhacker New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I am interested and at this point I have a clear schedule, but the way things have been going I will have to wait and see. :crazy:

4. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Sparky, I promise I'll be going again in June.

Steve, be ready to fish until the cows come home!

Where's Gr_Cat, Kattywumpus, and all the rest of you? Hopefully someone else with a boat, eh? C'mon...

5. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Yeah, I'm going to have to take a rain check on any all nighters in May. ROTFLOL. Last year May was a little unkind to this brother when it came to freezing temperatures. I am still thawing out from that little excursion on the Quanacassie River...We were supposed to go to St Joe's this year for those flats too this month...

6. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Victor (& others):
    Insider info from research on the St Joe said that the flathead action down there doesn't pick up until late summer. You were off line there for a while when we talked about that.
    So currently, a few of us are going to fish the 18th (we caught a 7, a 13, and a 20 one night in May, 2006), and I'm hoping we can make a pilgrimage to the St Joe later in the year.

My motto for 2007 is: "Go often & stay late"!

7. Gr_Cat

Gr_Cat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    May 18th eh Tony? Hmmmm I believe I work a 2nd shift that day, I'll definately try to make this one however, if its less than a 30 mile drive for me. I'm going to go back upstream of the Ionia fairgrounds again, I know theres some in that stretch, I just know it. Bring on the meeting place, and the only obstacle I'll have is a big one, the wife.

-Guy

8. Whiskerwhacker

State:
    Michigan
    I regret to inform you that the 18th is not going to work for me. Multiple reasons, not the least of which is my in-laws are arriving on the 19th. I can see it now, hosting the mother-in-law right after an all-nighter...LOL:crazy:
    I hope you guys pull it off, it sounds like fun. The food will be good anyway.

9. Angler Management

Angler Management New Member

State:
    Michigan
    What r ya trying to say Stevie? I know your father in-law would be upset you didn't take him.

I know I can't make it Tony. Sounds like fun but getting up the next mornin' to chase turkeys would make for a very loooonnnngggg day! Although the thought of a nice bankside cookout, er I mean fishing trip does sound appealing...

10. Whiskerwhacker

State:
    Michigan
    I see how it's gonna be, got time to upload your new avatar but not email me my pics. Probably are still trying to figure out how to compress the pictures enough to fit my monster fish in one frame...LOL. Makes me wish I had punched a bigger hole in the bow of your boat....:roll_eyes:

11. Angler Management

Angler Management New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Yeah, it's pretty embarrassing when you pull up next to another boat full of friends and have to tell them your boat's got a gaping hole in it. I will say, I've reconsidered the things I carry in my on board tool kit. I think I'll be adding some patching supplies now (that's right, duct tape). Guess that's the chance you take trailering an aluminum boat at highway speeds. Didn't know I needed a stone guard on my boat trailer!

12. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    OK, I've waited long enough. Where is the report on the May 18th all nighter? Is the Flathead bite on yet, or was it too crispy outside? Give us a report.
    Sparky

13. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Well, nobody showed any interest so it just didn't happen.

I managed to get a few hours in, but was unable to gather any decent bait and had to make do with 2 tiny bluegills, some cut sucker, and a rock bass that I caught on night crawlers. I caught a channel about 3 pounds on the cut stuff and had a take on the rock bass that was probably a good fish but didn't hook up. Water was just over 60 degrees and the level was back to a manageable flow (I could hardly get my anchors to hold on one previous outing).
    I expect things are going to heat up this weekend, but I'll be at my son's soccer tournament in Canton all weekend.
    It was at the end of May last year that Jim & I caught three nice flats in just a few hours from one snag, so I'm pretty confident that with good bait and a dedicated effort, the next trip could produce some action.
    I want to try fishing near Riverside Park again (the place where we had the high protein picnic while the crew boats were racing in the river).
    It would be a good way to get everybody together for food & fun whenever you're ready.

Tony