May 17 on the Chick.

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by rebcatman, May 18, 2008.

1. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    We put in about 7PM and fished until 7AM, we caught a total of 8 fish both channels and blues, the largest was 15. The bite was slow, I suppose because of the spawn. We caught them on eels, shad, and white perch. All of the fish came from holes 20 to 44 feet deep.

Hopefully I will be able to get back down there later this summer to really experence what the Chick can give up.

2. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Thanks for the fishing update, Tom. Reps to you!

3. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    I'd send you some back but....

We decided to plan another trip down this weekend(yes we may be suckers) hopefully the spawn will be over by then for all but the slowest of blues.

4. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    I noticed that Walkers Dam is closed to fishing, but the VDGIF doesn't say why. Have you heard anything? Perhaps high river levels?

5. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Ya, I saw that too, but not sure why either, though I suppose you are right about the high water. However, the river was not bad at all this past weekend, the water was still a bit stained and we did see the odd limb/trunk floating, but nothing like the rivers up this way.

6. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Tom, where are you launching from?

I don't think one week is enough to end the spawn. But hey, you'll still be out fishing, which is alot more than what I will be doing.

7. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    I was hoping the spawn would be over with by then.... Though, I'm not sure when it started, I guess that is what assuming gets me.

We will be going out of River rest, there is a couple of spots close by there, that I want to try again.