maximum monofilament test line on bait casters

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Bill in SC, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Folks, what is the maximum monofilament test line I can use on my Abu Garcia reels, and still cast effectively. Some of the new monofilament lines are thinner and stronger. I have been looking at the Berkley Big Game 40# test. I am currently using Berkley Big Game 25# test with excellent results. I really want to switch to Power Pro braided, but it's at least twice the price of the mono. Any suggestions?
    Bill in SC

2. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I always fill to within 1/8" inch of the top of the spool. The bigger the loops the farther it will cast.

3. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Bill, I used Berkley Big Game 30# for a while and have since switched to 80# PowerPro. There is NO comparison (in my opinion). The Big Game, retains its memory alot and has alot of coils in it, the braid DOES NOT. I mowed some yards and did a flower bed or two and bought Power Pro for ALL my reels! Just my 2-cents!:eek:oooh:

4. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    I agree w/billy i'm gonna do the same & switch them out, try & get one of the big spools from bps it will be cheaper in the long run!!

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Thanks guys. I guess I will just have to bite the bullet and get me a large spool of Power Pro 80#.
    Bill in SC

6. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Brother Bill;
    Personally, I can't say enough about Power Pro!:big_smile: I agree with the others in that there is no comparison between it and monofilament!
    Most of the Brother's and Sister's I know that use it on their Baitcasters use the 65 to 80 pound size. Me, I use the 100 pound size on my Saltwater Spinners.
    You WILL have to use certain knots with Power Pro but with every purchase they include a "brochure" of instructions plus the address of their web site that had the same info and more.
    My wife, {{LUCKY ME :big_smile:}}, got me a 1500 yard roll of the 100# test/20# diameter for my birthday!! I think it was around $165.00 or close to that as she got it from Cabela's. She also bought me that brand new reel I was wanting too!!
    I don't think you will be disappointed with it. So far, everyone that has tried it, that I know of, likes it!
    As far as any of the monofilaments, try the ones you think you will like and see if you do. They are cheap enough you can afford to try out a few of them. Keep your notes on them and share the information with us later on. :wink: That is what the BOC is about; sharing information!
    Hope this helps,
    Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

7. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I really like the power pro, I have it spooled up on my big spinning reel and casts great. The 300 yd. spool works perfect.

8. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i have the 60# power pro on my 6000's and it works great. on the 5000's i use 30# and have no problems. the big game is great line for leaders, and also when you have to break a leader off you don't lose all that expensive line.

9. Delisleba

Delisleba New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Bill in SC,

The 6500 Abu Garcia's will handle up to about 40lb mono, now if your looking for max casting distance 40lb would be a bit much. As for the braided line cost more it really does not. I got me a 1000 plus yard spool for a bit over 100 bucks. Sounds high but here is the kicker this line will last for a few years. Unlike mono the gets memory and fades with the sun. I use a 50 lb braid with a 40lb mono leader, if i get snaged the mono leader breaks first. Also because of its (the briad line) thinner diamiter i have found u can actualy fill an abu 7000 up use the line it will start to fray evenully I just then walk it out and re tie to the end of my line and use all the line that was on the bottom of the spool.

10. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I use 20lb mono, on my Abu 6000 and 6500C3.

11. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    The folk who made your reel usually know far more than we on here about your reel.They usually have their recommendations included with the reel.They are usually very good at answering your questions on line.

And yes,I do realize that many disagree with me and "know that they know" far more than the manufactures who made it do.It is your reel and we all do what we wish with what is ours.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

12. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I've Agree with peewee, you look on the side of the reel and it will tell you what size line to put on it.

13. PeeDee Cat

PeeDee Cat Member

State:
    SC
    On 4 reels I have 30 big game. Had no problems yet.

14. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Well, I ended up putting 100# Power Pro "phantom red" on them, because they were out of the 80#. Took some getting used to. In fact, I'm still getting used to it. I do know enough about it to say I will NEVER go back to monofilament for anything other than my leaders. With the Power Pro, the 50# mono leader will break when snagged before the braided will. This saves my lead each time which is above the swivel. The one 10# fish I caught this weekend in the tournament got all tangled up in the structure. With the Power Pro, you just drag 'em right out of it. My 25# Berkley would have given up on me.
    BB in SC