Maximum line size on Abu 6000 series?

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by festus, Jan 10, 2010.

1. festus

festus New Member

A few days ago I got my new Abu 6000 (Swedish) through the mail. I plan on spooling it with 17 lb. test Trilene XT. It's rated for 14, 17, and 20 lb. test. Has anyone used mono any bigger on this size of reel?

2. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    I have used 25 pound but heard others using 30.I have heard the problem starts with 40 pound and above but hopefully others with more experience will chime in.Good luck

3. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Lot of people use much bigger line especially with braid.The larger line won't hurt reels itself if you limit the drag to about 7 lb. or so and don't try to use the reel to break the line when you get snagged up.I limit mine to 20 lb.
    Jake

4. festus

festus New Member

It's doubtful I go above 20 lb test on the 6000 reel. At what pound test does (mono) does casting distsnce start to suffer? 20, 25, 30 or above? I also have an Abu 5500 that's 22 years old and it's rated for 12 and 14 lb test mono. I noticed my casting distance really drops off with 17 lb test. So now I use 14 or 15 lb Big Game or Trilene XT on this smaller reel. BTW, the Abu 5500 is a stout reel, if it had a bait clicker, I'd use it more for catfishing. I'm not a big fan of braided line, especially for the price and its tendency to fray. And I fish around quite a bit of rocks and rip-rap.

5. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i have put upto 50lb mono on one of mine, and when i musky fished all the time i had nothing less than 50 lb braid, and i have one with 65lb PP on it right now. in saying that i always use a stick to break most snags and i use a leader of lower poundage so that it will give before the braid. i have never had a problem with the bigger mono however, except the amount it can hold.

6. festus

festus New Member

Jeremy, you're talking using these lines on a 6000, 6500, or 6600 series, right? Maybe one of these days I'll go to braid in the neighborhood of at least 50 lb test w/a 40 lb mono leader. My catfish rods double as striper rigs using 1-1/2 to 2 oz jigs in tailraces.

7. brian88b

brian88b Member

State:
    Fairdale, KY
    I've used 30# mono on my 6000 and 6500's with no problems, but I was slinging at LEAST 2oz of lead or better. And I couldnt tell you exactly how much they held but it was more than enough fishing from banks. Of course now I have 65# PP on all of mine except for one I just spooled with 100# Tug-O-War and havn't got to try yet.

8. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    yup...

the one may not be a 6000 (ill have to check), but i know the others are all 6500 or 6600. i didnt see the need at the time for 7000s, but i will be ordering some of those in the future to join my arsenal. all but one of my ABU's i bought for muskie fishing and paylake fishing so the spool size wasn't the concern that i had. but now that i am river and lake fishing i need to be able to cast farther and still have the extra line for that big fight in fast current.

9. festus

festus New Member

Brian. got any idea how many yards you could cast a 2 oz sinkers w/the 30 lb mono?

10. festus

festus New Member

Yeah I plan on buying a 7000 later to replace my old antique Penn, which doesn't have a level wind. The Penn is still in great shape, casts well' but is a hassle for night fishing trying to manually level the line. How far do you think you could cast a 1-1/2 oz jig or a 2 oz spoon with your 6500?

11. Sonny Kemp

Sonny Kemp New Member

State:
    Tn
    Festus if you stay in that rated range or smaller in mono or equivalent diameter in braid it will cast better.Thats not to say you cant use bigger but it want cast as good.If you will set the drag in the line range it want actually hurt the reel but most reels in this size want hold close to that line rating without slipping.25lbs drag is a BUNCH of drag which a lot of reels arent capable of producing.With bigger test line on say a 15-25 lb rated rod and 50lb line if it goes solid without slipping drag the rod then becomes the weakest link.Hope this makes sense. If you bend a rod past 90degrees youre asking for trouble.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  12. festus

festus New Member

Oh yeah, it makes great sense, Sonny. I'll start out with the lightest line first (about 17 lb mono) and decide if I need anything bigger. I need the longer casts more for the stripers than the catfish. On a long cast, I should be have at least another 100 yds left on the reel which would most likely handle an striper up to 25 lbs, I hope. I have seen stripers up to 40 lbs. be caught down ther on the big jigs, but in my short experience with striper fishing, I've yet to hook one yet. Most average between 10 lbs. to about 18 lbs. I'm gonna mount this Abu 6000 on an old 7' Boss Hawg rod for now until I can get out and find an Ugly Stick or another better rod at least 8' to 9' long.

13. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I use #65 Power Pro on my 6500 & 7000 series Abu reels. I have nothing against mono, but braid offers a much stronger line with a much smaller diameter which equals to more line on the reel. The Power Pro also casts very well. #65 braid is same diameter as #17 mono and #50 braid is the same diameter as #12 mono. Good luck.

14. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    THREE reel frames later, ain't that the truth! ;-)

BB in SC

15. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have used 30-lb test mono on my 6000 abus with no problem at all, it just holds less..Probably 120 yds or so, which is plenty for most conditions.

16. yellingrebel78

yellingrebel78 New Member

State:
    georgia
    I use 30lb mono on my 6000 and 6500 and I cast any were to 75 to 100 yds with mine which I got all my reels beefed up though

17. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    I have 40# mono on my 6501 & 6601 and 20# on my 5501 & 5601 reels. I've had no problems. The 20# casts better due to smaller line line size and less stiffness.

18. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I been using 20lb Big Game Line on my Abu 6000 and 6500C3 I may try braid, I also with be getting some Ugly Stick striper and catfish rods so I may be trying 30 braid on my.