Maximum Drag 6500-10000i

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Flamekeeper, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    It took a few persistant Emails,But I got them finaly:cool2:

This is right from ABU, I figured it up and posted below the kg into lbs for each of the reels as shown..

The C3 and C4 has 15 lb drag each.

The 7000i has 9 kg and the 7000iC3, 9000i and 1000i has 11kg.each.

kg / : kilogram-meter
    : the meter-kilogram-second gravitational unit of work and energy equal to the work done by a kilogram force acting through a distance of one meter in the direction of the force : about 7.235 foot-pounds

6500C3 and C4 has ............ = 15lbs........of .....Maximum Drag Force
    7000i ...... has 9kg x 7.235 = 5.115 lbs...of.....Maximum Drag Force
    7000iC3 ..........11kg x 7.235 = 79.585 lbs.of.....Maximum Drag Force
    9000i...............11kg x 7.235 = 79.585 lbs.of.....Maximum Drag Force
    10000i.............11kg x 7.235 = 79.585 lbs.of.....Maximum Drag Force

best I could do PeeWee:big_smile:

2. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Man Kenny thats a mouth full...
    One question is the 7000.I suposed to be 51.lbs
    Thanks for the info..
    Puddle

3. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
  4. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken

OOPS,Sorry Bro, I thought that looked funny:big_smile::big_smile:

here is the correction;

7000i ...... has 9kg x 7.235 = 65.115 lbs...of.....Maximum Drag Force

5. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Kenny,

Thanks for your work in getting the info from Abu. One thing, I would have thought that the apples to apples comparison of Kilograms to Pounds would be to multiple by 2.2. Which would look like this:

7000i ...... has 9kg x 2.2 = 19.8 lbs...of.....Maximum Drag Force
    7000iC3 ..........11kg x 2.2 = 24.2 lbs.of.....Maximum Drag Force
    9000i...............11kg x 2.2 = 24.2 lbs.of.....Maximum Drag Force
    10000i.............11kg x 2.2 = 24.2 lbs.of.....Maximum Drag Force

These figures would also be a lot more in line with industry norms, as even huge saltwater reels rarely exceed 35-40lbs of drag.

The norm I believe is to just rate them based upon the dead weight required to pull line from the reel, rather than being a calculation over force over distance such as foot pounds or horsepower.

6. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    That looks better. It's 2.206 to be exact.

7. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    I thought the poundage figures for the 7000 and up looked extremely high. I had a couple of 7000 lever drags, with 50lb test on them, with the drag adjustment screwed tight and the lever pushed up to the stop, it still gave line way before the line even came close to breaking.

8. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken

No problem bro..
    :big_smile:I looked the figures up to get the get the #'s and difenition of kg,Wrong one i guess.:embarassed::embarassed::eek:oooh:.,2 different balls being throwed huh??LOL:big_smile:

I can agree that its looks good better as you state over dead weight being pulled from the reel. But 22.4lbs of MAX Drag? I can lock my 7700 all the way down and pull with the line wrapped around my gloved hand and curl it straight up with 50# or better pressure and I can barely break the drag or just have the line cut into the spool.It seems more than 22.4 IMHO.

I'm going to get some bigger line and do some testing..

9. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thansk for the info sounds like that you got you some good reels for your poles.

10. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I think so. I've always wondered about the ratings on the Abu's though, so I appreciate you getting the info.

Just FYI, I've tested some of my medium sized Penns (220GTO) using a fish weighing scale, and came up with something like 22-23lbs of drag. One thing I noticed, using braid for those tests, was that the line started digging into the spool a little bit at that drag level. Think about what happens when your line digs in, you reel a little bit back on the spool, and then a fish takes another big run... lots of different ways you could break off like that. That has left me wondering if a drag set to too much over 20lbs might start to become counterproductive for braid users?

11. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    The drag protects the line, the rod, and the reel. It is supposed to be the weakest link.

The use of greased carbon fiber drag washers enables drag settings high enough that, when used in conjunction with overly strong braid, can destroy reels. Caution, friends.

12. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken

LMHO,:big_smile:,I went over and over this and made sure this time. Not much difference But ; Here is the formula..:roll_eyes: whew!!!

(Abbr. kg) The base unit of mass in the International System, equal to 1,000 grams (2.2046 pounds). Kilogram force.

7000i .............. 9kg x 2.2046 = 19.8414 lbs...of.....Maximum Drag Force
    7000iC3 ..........11kg x 2.2046 = 24.2506 lbs...of.....Maximum Drag Force
    9000i...............11kg x 2.2046 = 24.2506 lbs.of.......Maximum Drag Force
    10000i.............11kg x 2.2046 = 24.2506 lbs.of.......Maximum Drag Force

http://www.answers.com/topic/kilogram

13. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    :eek:oooh:

You got me thinking on the drag setting over 20,,your dead on when you see that line digging in, you better do something quick, I have had them pop a couple of times where it was dug into the spool,when Mr Big took off for the second run,with mono though..Now I keep mine checked pretty much every time I get'em out:cool2:

14. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    All of this brings up a point I always have about folks and mega weight line. :embarassed:

If you can only apply 20-25 pounds of drag, then why do you need 65-80 pound line? :eek:oooh:

Simple answer....you don't. :wink:

15. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Most of the reasons I've heard people use heavy line, especially mono, is for abrasion resistance. Other reasons, If the fish goes into cover and has the potential to "break it off" Drag isn't a big factor there...Braid, or mono

16. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <If you can only apply 20-25 pounds of drag, then why do you need 65-80 pound line? :eek:oooh:>

I use 100 pound braid because it is great line when hauling a fish up through snags, and it has NO memory. It gives me great confidence fighting Mr. Whiskers. I have NEVER had one fish break my 100# Power Pro. I keep my drag VERY tight, and it takes a monster fish to disengage it. In the Big Pee Dee, you don't want to give 'em an inch, or they will take cover. Yesterday I hauled in a 22 pound blue on a friend's reel. He had set the drag down a little bit due to a couple of his light weight leader failures. It was cool letting the fish take line out. This was a Winyah Bay scenario though where there were no snags.

Bill in SC

17. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Well, there are ways to apply more drag yourself, and the saltwater guys that are used to fighting large fish on light (for saltwater) tackle are more apt to use it than the average freshwater fisherman that's not used to a fish pulling drag at all.

Thumb pressure on the spool can add several pounds of drag, up to almost ten pounds, depending on the angler. Thumb pressure on the line itself using your hand on the foregrip can add a couple of pounds as well.

You must also keep in mind that the drag pressure increases in direct proportion to the diameter of the reel spool decreasing as line is pulled out.

For some applications, anglers only fill a reel 1/2 way or a bit more with a really heavy line, then crank the drag down tight. That usually more than doubles the effective drag on the reel. Tug of war then ensues. :big_smile:

Take a reel spool that's half full of 25lb test on a reel that maxes out at 20lbs of drag with a full spool, add some thumb pressure on the spool, and maybe at the foregrip, then you're way over the 25lb mark on drag pressure.

That's why a lot of guys use heavier line on a reel with a drag that is way lower than their line strength. The reel drag might max out at 20lbs, but with the right techniques, you could possibly apply 30-35lbs of pressure or more with it. Then the 20-25lb line isn't going to cut it. :eek:oooh:

18. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    That's a very informative post, Chris. Reps to ya.

BB in SC

19. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    not to mention that the rod adds some drag too. a sudden jerk on the line can pop it quick before the drag has a chance to slip. look at a scale when you step on it you may weight 180 but when you first hop on it will go well over 200.

20. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken

You can hang 25lbs of weight the the line and put that pressure on the rod without haveing the reels drag slip,( Static testing rod blanks ) So if a fish puts that 20# of pressure on the rod he will definitly have to do some pulling/put morelbs of pressure on to get the 24# drag to slip. IMHO:wink: