max mono size on a Abu 6000

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by BIG_D, Aug 30, 2009.

1. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    need a little input hear i have bin using braid all summer and i just hate braid cant bring myself to like it at all i like berkly big game hi vis green i have used it for a good wile on my channel cat rigs and i want to switch to it for my flathead and blue rigs as well my ? is what is the max size can i go with on a ABU 6000 and it still cast good:confused2:

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use 25-lb big game on my 6000's and have landed many a flathead over 40-lbs on them...I have also used 30-lb big game, it also works well, just cant get as much on the reel...Both the 25-lb and the 30-lb big game cast great on my abu 6000's.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2009

3. cat-tracker

cat-tracker New Member

State:
    arizona
    I have 50#Big Game on my 6500 c3, it still cast very nice but you won't get the distance you want with braid or smaller mono. I can still cast it out at least 50 yards with 3oz weight with no problem. It's up to you on what you need, I have it that way because I fish in a boat and pretty much next to structure I cast to.

4. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Wouldn't recomend going over 30 lb. mono on an abu 6000 or 6500. 40 lb. plus step up to an abu 7000 or larger.

5. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    thanks guys i put 25 on them

6. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Good choice. I'm trying braid for the first time in over 50 years of mono usage and like you said--old habits are hard to break:eek:oooh::big_smile: but I'm determined to give it a fair chance. Stay safe and stick a pig!!!:wink:

7. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    I think you'd be fine just using 20# BBG as long as you set your drag right.

8. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Dallis I am sold on that berk green stuff myself ...40lb is some stout stuff I can put 275yds or close to it on my larger penns ....ole lady cant get much on tat lill abu though (LOL) shoot braid is nice but way to expensive to run on 8 poles fer a river junkey such a as meself!

9. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    I like using 30 lb silver thread excalibar on my abu 6000 s

smooth very low memory and casts like a dream !!!!!

om my abu 7000s i run 40 lb Big Game

ive used many other brands and these 2 are my favorite

if they made silver thread in 40 lb i would only use silver thread tho

but so far ive only seen it up to 30 lb test ..

I to used braid for awhile and like you Ive went back to mono !!!!! and never looked back

only braid i use now is on my okuma line counter drifting reels
    because we run around 200 foot to 100 foot of line out and braid dosnt have the stretch like mono ..

10. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    well this is interesting - few of us went back to mono HMMM????I love pp but I cant see where the extra denero compensates the pleasure in a great ratts nest (LOL)

11. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i feel like i gave braid a fair chance i used it all summer some say it out cast mono i disagree i hate the crap it cost twice as much it is not worth it to me at all

12. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Scotty silver thread is a GREAT line smooth as silk no memory and tuff as nail's ,I have that on quite a few of my setup's and when i can find more of it up here am going buy as mush as i can.

13. Cuda

Cuda Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    If I had to use mono it would be silver thread 25lb or 30lb. I use 30lb braid on all my small baitcasters but the big one has 50lb braid. Braid casts so much easier than mono with no memory too. Just my 2 cents.

14. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I use 20lb berkley big cat line on my Abu 6000.

15. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    On my 6500's I use 20# BBG in solar green and have put a 40# shock leader on it so that I can cast more weight. I really have not noticed any difference in the distance I am casting. ( I am by no means an expert distance caster but I can get it where I need to).

16. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    30lb PLine Floroclrear is about the dia of 15lb BG and can pull a loaded 18' boat upriver in current enough to get slack in the anchor rope:eek:oooh: and it still wouldn't break.:crazy: Finaly after alot of winding and jerking straight back the hook pulled free, Saved me from respooling:wink::big_smile:

17. sjohn58

sjohn58 Guest

So how much Solar Collector 30 Lb. would fit on an ABU 6500 C3?

18. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    probly 150 to 175 yards aprox