Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am from Missouri but fish on the Il side of the chain of rocks. I have an Il license so I am bound by only their rules. From what I can tell, I can use up to 50 hooks and as many poles as I like. Is this correct? I am trying to decide if I need to cut down my sabaki rigs.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Go to the Illinois DNR site and look at the digest listing fishing laws and site specific rules

Illinois Fishing Information

The above publication which can be viewed online will answer your question. Word of mouth is fine but I have found it is not always reliable. Had a couple of well meaning old timers give me info on Crab Orchard lake pole and hook limits. Almost cost me a ticket because their info was not correct. Sure taught me a lesson, check it out first! I discovered Crab has site specific rules as do other locations covered by Illinois law.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I am from Missouri but fish on the Il side of the chain of rocks. I have an Il license so I am bound by only their rules. From what I can tell, I can use up to 50 hooks and as many poles as I like. Is this correct? I am trying to decide if I need to cut down my sabaki rigs.
You can use as many rods as you want but any rod over 2 has to have your name and address on them. With an IL and MO fishing license you can fish either side of the mississippi river as long as it is between MO and IL. As far as I know you don't have to cut down your sabiki rigs but you can only use them for baitfish.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I have looked at the 70 page doc and from what I can tell, if I am fishing (but not trolling, ice fishing or snagging) on the Il side of the Miss where Mo is the other side, I can have 50 hooks in total and two unlabeled poles. Further poles must have my name and address. This is when fishing with an Il license.

When fishing with a Mo license, I am bound by the Mo statute that a fishing pole is defined as not having more than three hooks.

Have I interpreted this correctly?

http://dnr.state.il.us/fish/digest/2010 Fishing Guide.pdf

·
Registered
943 Posts
Always check site specific regs but they are mostly concerned with lakes. Rest of Illinois its a 50 hook limit. Your are correct on the pole regs, 2 unlabeled, more then 2 then the rest have to be labeled. One thing to watch for is unnattended devices ie: step away from your poles to find a tree etc. DNR is hard up for money and writing tickets and looking for any excuse to write tickets.

·
Registered
67 Posts
the way I read it (strait from the dnr rules handbook) you are allowed 50 hooks ina any combination with 2 unmarked devices allowed. all devices in excess of 2 need to be marked with owner's full name and address. I'm no lawyer but hope this helps

·
Registered
151 Posts
Everyone is right on target,Max of 50 with two unmarked with consideration to site regulations.No reg on the river IL or Miss. Take the mailing address labels that come from Ducks Unlimited or the American Legion and stick to your poles and then cover with clear finger nail polish,it will out last the pole. John

·
Registered
827 Posts
That is a good way to label your rods. I just printed out my name and address then put them on the rod with clear packaging tape. It has worked great so far, but I can take it off if I ever decide to get rid of 1 of my rods.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Permanent black marker works good for us. With some devices we just write it out and seal it on the jug, pole etc. I like the mailing address label idea alot. I get tons of those. If someone ever gets one of our rods after the marker deal though I hope they never commit a crime with it or leave it at the scene, lol.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I knew the 50:Shocked: hooks but had never heard or read about labeling fishing poles..Trot lines,limb lines,hoops, etc...I guess I never considered my poles as devices..Glad I read this one..Off to find those DU labels lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.