Mauser

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by MikeV, Aug 12, 2009.

1. MikeV

MikeV New Member

State:
    pennslvania
    I have a mauser chileno modelo 1895,that i inherited from a uncle that past away. I was told i can't use magnum loads,something about the metal being weak. Is it ok to use regular factory ammo? I have a box of remington express core lokt,140gr.psp.What does psp mean? Any help would be appreciated, i don't want to blow my fingers off.

2. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    The 1895 Bolt action Mauser, is only to be used with loads of the same pressure as the original loads,, The issue with these is the amount of locking lugs in the bolt, or actually the lack thereof.. so, The older models, such as the 1895, 1896, , otherwise pre-1898 models aren't strong enough to safely handle Modern pressures..
    Mauser Bolt guns, were manufactured in many different places around the world, and, not always,, according to the original blueprints!!

so, be careful of the ammo you use.. personally, I would find something else to shoot, and, or have it thoroughly checked out by a Competent gunsmith...
    There are a lot of variables in these rifles in bore dimensions, and without the input from a qualified Gun guy, could turn out to be,,,,, not much fun to shoot..
    I'd not use the modern ammo,, might be a little stout... and, if the lugs let go, it won't hurt your fingers.. but, it'll sure jack up your face..

PSP means,, pointed soft point..

Last edited: Aug 12, 2009

3. bodach

bodach New Member

State:
    KS Emporia
    By all means get the gun checked out by a gunsmith. I went to a gunsmithing school when I was younger they had a display of firearms that had failed for one reason or another very scary stuff, a few dollars spent now could save you a lifetime of regret later.

4. MikeV

MikeV New Member

State:
    pennslvania
    Thanks for the info, i'll stick to my 30-06

5. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    What a shame you can't find Ammo. If you go to a gun show or do a search on antigue rifle ammunition, you might find some. I have an old bolt action 30-40 Krag that was the USA Military Rifle during the Spanish American War. That round got replaced by the 30-06 during WW I. The rifle was my grandfather's that he got from one of his uncles and Grand Dad used it to shoot deer prior to his service in WW I. After the war he hunted with his Springfield A3 03 in 30-06. I bought some proper low pressure 30/40 Krag bullets and shoot the old rifle every year. Almost no recoil and rolls the deer nicely with neck, head, or shoulder shots. I make it a point to shoot one deer each year to honor Grand Dad. My brother does the same with Grand Dad's Springfield.

I work in Argentina now and bought an old 8 MM Argentine Mauser. Excellent rifle. I have used it there to shoot european boar and red stag. Those old guns shoot where you point them and still get the job done.

Good luck finding Ammo.