Maumee Walleye Run

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Blacky, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    My second favorite freshwater species to target is walleyes. We do have them in the rivers here but not with any size. A 21 incher is nice out here.

I have 2 options if I want to find a 28 inch walleye. 1. Go to Canada or 2. Make the 9 hour drive out to Ohio and fish the Maumee River Walleye Run.

When is the peak time? I have the week of Easter off and hope to make it to the Maumee.

Any help, tips, advice will be greatly appreciated!:smile2:

2. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    It really depends on water temps. Most years if you plan the middle of april you'll get fish. As for big ones depends on how hatches were in past years. We are starting to come down off a high hatch year and should have quite a few 8-10 lbers. There were a string of bad years then and the number of hatch was down. I can rememer a few years when catching a 28" was easy and a few when a 28" was darn near impossible.
    Tips:
    Buttonwood in Perrysburg
    Blue Grass Island in Sidecut Metro Park in Maumee
    Ft Meigs in Perrysburg
    Pay attention to what everyone is using and how. There are tricks to it and if you watch the guys catching you should pick it up.
    Be ready to stand almost shoulder to shoulder. A little patience with everyone makes the day go by better. Most of the guys are freindly and got nothing else to do but shoot the breeze with the guy next to them.
    This is NW Ohio, it can be 60 degrees in the morn and drop to 35 or go up to 80 in a couple of hours. Been out many a time when you had to dip your eyes in the water before casting to get rid of ice.
    DON'T think you can get away with snagged fish. There are game wardens everywhere there. The guy you're shooting the breeze with might even be one. At $100 a fish it can ruin a long trip like yours.
    My preference is an 8' med action rod using 8lb test mono.
    I'm old school and still get them on lead head jigs, size depends on water conditions. I use 1/4-1/2 oz with a 3" or 4" tail. Color can make a big difference too, there again watch what everyone catching them on, not what everyone is using.
    Good luck if you make the trip. Let me know if you decide to make the trip, I live 5 miles from the river.

3. chasethecat

chasethecat New Member

State:
    Toledo, Ohio
    Blacky,
    In your avatar you're in a boat. if you got a boat to use you'd have a better chance on lake erie, by the reefs around kelly's island in april/may trolling "spinners" (worm harnesses) or out of the port of huron towards the central basin in november. also, when the ice fishing is good on lake erie some real lunkers can be landed. if you look at tourney results for april and may tourneys on lake erie you'll notice that winning boats are often weighing in 5 fish limits of walleyes over 28" (five eyes for 40+ pounds). their is a difference between length goals and weight goals, all of my walleyes in the 12lb. range have come in november or december, its harder to catch pre-spawns in the spring, but post spawn 28 inchers are hungry. my experience with the maumee run is that if you want to legally hook a 28" plus you better say some hail mary's while you're driving to ohio. most of my friends who grew up on the river have done it a over the years, but not every year, and with quite a few days on the water. its kinda bittersweet to catch that lunker you're looking for in the side. i agree with joe, don't try to get away with snagging, they got undercovers and binoculars etc.... while the run is on. mid march through april is the usual time frame with the most and biggest females (IMO) coming in the earlier half of the run. i'd suggest a 6'6" medium heavy rod, it makes it easier to get in the line with everyone else than a longer stick (IMO). m.

4. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Joe I have a question about the snagged fish thing (I dont walleye fish), if you do snag it you just have to let it go right or do you have to play it till it comes off? Also isnt there a hook that you have to use i.e. no barbs size # I thought my Bro in law said something about that.

5. chasethecat

chasethecat New Member

State:
    Toledo, Ohio
    You're allowed to land the fish, you just have to release it. The hook rule is only one hook ie: no trebles or stinger hooks, and it has to have a gap of 1/2" or less.m.

6. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I will need a Ohio Fishing Licsense. Will I need a special walleye stamp like in PA?

I'll get a hold of your smokin joe when I get up there.

No boats for me! Just a few guys doing a roadtrip in April!

Thanks for all the good info fellas!

7. x smokin joe

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    No special stamp here, one license covers it all.

8. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If all goes well with the birth of our son in March, I will be up on the Maumee again during April sometime. I will be bringing my jet-boat back though.. Depending on the water conditions, it sometimes is tough to launch with the current and all the fishermen, but once off the bank, its nice to not be shoulder to shoulder. A few years back we had a heck of a 2 day trip. Limted out the second morning in the first 2 hours. Hopefully, things will work out, and I will be up there.. Goodluck to you Tan.. Maybe I will meet you too Joe....rollo

9. x smokin joe

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    Bring your flathead gear too if you are going to spend the night and I'll try to put you on some fish above the dam. Where did you put in at last time , Orleans Park?

10. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I believe thats the name of it. I just remember crossing over a bridge, then making a left down over a hill, there was a guy with a van down there selling twisters etc..in the parking lot....rollo

11. x smokin joe

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    There is another ramp downstream a little ways from there. It's on Maple St. in Perrysburg. This is a better and deeper ramp, easier to launch a boat. Orleans is more for smaller boats.
    Use this and zoom in on Perrysburg. You can see where you put in and down stream 1/3-1/2 mile is the other ramp. Its at the other end of the island where you put in last time.
    http://maps.live.com/

12. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

Well it looks like there will be 3 and possibly 4 going the first week of April.

Rollo,
    It would be cool if you went then too!

smokin joe,
    Can you elaborate me on the Maumee Rig and the "Maumee Twist"?
    Can you recommend nice hotels?
    Can you recommend bait and tackle shops?

13. chasethecat

chasethecat New Member

State:
    Toledo, Ohio
    the maumee twist, lol... haven't heard that one in a long time. back in the day thats what they used to call it when they bent their jig hooks to the side to make them better @ snagging 'eyes. maybe there is a different "maumee twist" i don't know what it is. check out www.maumeetackle.net it's a nice baitshop in maumee with web updates on river water levels etc.... the site has a map to the shop. most guys fish with floating jig heads (IMO the tear drop shape works best the round ones seem to get the spins) on carolina rigs w/ 12-36" leader. 3/8 to 1.5 oz. egg sinkers depending on current, local, and preference. m.

14. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
  15. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I will be staying 2 nights at the Days INN in Perrysburg.

I can't wait to fish in the state of Ohio.

Can you get Ohio fishing licsense online?

16. RIVERRUNT

RIVERRUNT Member

State:
    reynoldsburg ohio
    Yes you can buy your fishing license online.Google ohio fishing license

17. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
  18. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    We're leaving in 5 hours!

19. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Have a good and safe trip

20. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Goodluck to you Tan. With the recent rain, it should be moving. The year we hit it great, it was elevated and moving. Have fun, looking forward to the report....rollo