maumee river guys!!

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by shanelures, Jul 8, 2009.

1. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    tried to have everone help on the maumee tackle issue but they pulled my post!! guess i'll go to the local paper or news!! cant get no worse! there killing our maumee river cats!!

2. ohiocattin15

ohiocattin15 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    what were they doing?

3. Eudora

Eudora New Member

State:
    Lambertville, MI
    Shane, what's going on? If you need my support, you got it.

Andy

4. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    What they claim is they are for the conservation of fish in The Maumee river and bay and Lake Erie. They petitioned the state to change rules on smallmouth limits both size and numbers. They petitioned the state to close the water intake at the mouth of the river because too many fish fry are killed in it. The owner is walleye and bass fisherman. He then has a big flathead of the month contest that pays a $25 gift certificate. These fish are hauled as far as an hour away to be entered and most will prob die from the trip. Wonder why a bass fisherman who is all for conservation of smallmouth bass would want to see as many flatheads as possible killed? Is he trying to increase the bass population by killing flats? He has no contest for biggest bass of the month. Can only say what it looks like to me.

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You guys need to come to the next ODNR open meeting and get this stuff all out in the open.

6. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    i also believe there trying to kill all our flats. i told them thier bass decline was from fishing presure not flatheads. i ask them how they would like me to post flyers along the river with a pic of a huge cat and say on the flyer to use smallmouth bass fo bait!!! bet they would'nt dig that. i felt i had to do somthing though. i agree with you 100% on this though!! shane

7. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    thats the kind of stuff that needs to be adressed.

8. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    I had sent em an email trying to get some information on the contest's an such but of course never got a bite on it. Seems like it's all about business to this fanatic. The all mighty dollar of course.

9. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    thanks for the e-mail it means a lot, shane

10. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Your welcome I made the effort.

11. x smokin joe

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    From their website. Providence Dam is at least a 30 minute drive, longer depending on traffic lights. These fish were transported all that way and killed for a $25 gift certificate, and because the owner of this store is for the bass fishery and believes flatheads are ruining it.
    Notice the hands in the gills.

Maumee Tackle River Update THE WINNER FOR JUNE IN THE MONTHLY CONTEST IS DOC BOLTZ OF WOODVILLE OHIO. DOC CAUGHT A 33.7 lbFLATHEADWHILE FISHING THE PROVIDENCE DAM AREA. HE WAS USING A 10'' BLUEGILL FOR BAIT. (PICTURED LEFT)
    THE CONTEST IS FREE. THE HEAVIEST CAT EACH MONTH WINS A TWENTY-FIVE DOLLAR GIFT CERTIFACATE FROM MAMEE TACKLE. CONTEST RUNS JUNE THROUGH SEPTEMBER.
    THE WINNER FOR THE JULY CATFISH CONTEST IS LEWIS WALKER OF TOLEDO OHIO. LEWIS CAUGHT A 34.0 lb FLATHEAD CAT AT PROVIDENCE PARK. LEWIS WAS USING NIGHTCRAWLERS FOR BAIT. NICE CAT LEWIS ! (PICTURED RIGHT)

Maumee Tackle River Update http://www.maumeetackle.net/riverupdate.html

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
  12. chasethecat

chasethecat New Member

State:
    Toledo, Ohio
    i'd be careful starting a war with Gary. his monthly contest draws very little angler attention and its going to be a hard sell that he's doing it just to kill flatheads when he has evidence that he's been holding the contest for years and many a months have been won by channel cats, precisely because very very few catmen try to win the $25. anyone can get as angry with me as they want for my H.O. but my predicted result of causing a big stink about this is that he still gets to hold his monthly contest and he introduces a petition to ban the use of smb and lmb as bait, which is received with enormous sympathy by the bass fishing community and eventually signed into law. m.

13. chasethecat

chasethecat New Member

State:
    Toledo, Ohio
    if you read this weeks City Paper you'll see that the water intake which he has caused a big stink about and tried to get shut down or updated kills 77,469 channel cats annually, and thats not including any that are in the billions of fry that are not identified. additionally it takes out 24 million emerald shiners and 14 million gizzard shad (thats alot of catfish food, annually), plus bass, walleye, etc... and the guy you're attacking is almost solely responsible for raising awareness of this and making it a political issue. also, his monthly catfish contest has been going on for 20+ years, my buddy won with an 8 pound channel when he was 14. with a prize of only 25 bucks, its not like the guys offering up a grand to get a bunch of big dead flatheads.

14. x smokin joe

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    You are stressing the catfish, he stresses the bass and walleye. In that 20+ years how many big flats have died?
    You say only $25, then why have it at all? Don't see him having a big bass of the month contest and giving away gift certificates for it. Isn't the Maumee supposed to be one of the hot smallmouth spots in the country? The proof is in the pictures. 2 out of 3 of those fish are being held by the gills. They were driven at least half an hour from where they were caught. For only $25.
    Didn't you start a thread giving people crap for using bass as bait?

15. x smokin joe

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    1 Why? He is the one killing catfish.
    2 If it draws so little attention then why not end it?
    3 Then why offer a monthly bounty? Could it be that many people won with channels because they didn't know about flatheads before. I have been catching them 20+ years and never felt the need to kill one for $25.
    4 So by informing people of his contest and the results we get threats?
    Maybe I should start showing up every day with a stringer of dead bass and see how happy he is.

16. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    i'm pretty good at catching bass count me in!!!!!!!!!!

17. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    i bring every legal smallmouth home that i can get my hands on just to even the game with gary a bit. i don't care what anyone says hes doing it so they don't eat his precious smallies. i'll chop e'm up for cut bait if i don't use them that night!!! i used to get all my walleye gear and tackle there but me and anyone i know will never step back in that place because gary is pathetic!!!!!!!!!!!

18. x smokin joe

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    Notice I am not slamming the guys who are taking the fish in. Most if not all don't know about or have never heard about CPR. Also it is their fish to do what they want. It is this business that promotes this action that is the real problem.
    A couple guys are out fishing and a guy catches a nice flat. His buddy says, hey there is that place in Maumee that has a contest for biggest catfish, lets take and see how he does. Into the truck bed goes the fish for a 30 min or more ride. He waits in the bed of the truck in the sun while they go inside and tell them about the fish. Out comes the camera after 30-45 minutes out of water and THE FISH IS THEN PICKED UP BY THE GILLS for a picture. After being placed back in the bed of the truck for the ride back to the river, it draws a few people and questions. The 2 guys finally get in the truck and head down to "release" the fish. After about 60 minutes out of water the fish is released "alive".
    The 2 guys were ignorant, the store is guilty.

19. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    agree 100%. and they are giving money away without getting any in return because i don't even think they have big cat tackle so its not about buisness its about satisfaction of getting rid of as many big cats as they can!!

20. chasethecat

chasethecat New Member

State:
    Toledo, Ohio
    lol...... "he's the one killing catfish" like there isn't some catfish blood on our hands too. anyone who posts useful info on this website helps non CPR people catch fish. the guys in those pictures probably did a google search and read most of the maumee river threads plus got to see some nice pics for a little added motivation. you think they got the where, when, and how from a bass guy? i doubt many flatheads have died to be weighed in that were otherwise going to be released, seems more likely they stopped at the bait store on their trip from the river to someone's table, or they were more the type of people to keep a big catfish so they can show it off to their buddies and then let it rot out back. but whatever, go head and kill smallmouths for cutbait if it makes you feel better, make a villain out of this guy. i know that regardless of which species is his pet, he is a friend to the maumee river in general. catfish face more danger from general threats to the health of the river than they do from a $25 contest. he's for the health of the river, i can forgive him a few dead cats.