Maumee River? Flathead Catfish?

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Leiter, Jun 18, 2006.

1. Leiter

Leiter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'm very new, And wanted to know if the Flatheads are coming from around Toledo or farther down near Defiance? Is there a public boat launch? what is the best bait? I live in Fostoria, It's about a hour drive for me to get to Defiance, About the same for Toledo any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in Advance.

2. Mr_Catfish

Mr_Catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio
    There is a public ramp at Independence dam state park.best bait creek chubs and sunfish .Try fishing any wood cover you can find. hope this helps.

3. borntocatfish

borntocatfish New Member

State:
    NW ohio
    stop at the BMV or any state building and get a FREE map of all boat docks in ohio

4. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    There are a couple mbrs that do very well on the maumee.

5. bigcat_chaser

bigcat_chaser New Member

State:
    Cincy, Ohio
    fishing for flatheads is usually best around independence dam area usually using live bluegills after nightfall chubs will work as well havent had much luck around toledo for flats so if i were you i would concentrate my efforts out by defiance.

6. Leiter

Leiter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I will go check out Independence dam, thank you all for your feedback. Does anyone know where the Providence dam is located on the maumee?

7. bigcat_chaser

bigcat_chaser New Member

State:
    Cincy, Ohio
    Sure,
    can help you out there too, providence dam is located right on state route 24 just outside of grand rapids ohio the river is fairly shallow at this part of the river I mean its shallow everywhere but here especially there are a few good holes though as far as catfish I have caught a bunch of really pretty big channels here but not too many flats I'm sure they are around just kinda hard to find hope that helps good luck