Maumee river-above or below the dam

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by photoman, Jul 24, 2008.

1. photoman

photoman New Member

State:
    ohio
    Hi, I'm fairly new to the club and some general info would be greatly appreciated.

I have a few nights in the next month to go out and try my hand at getting some flatheads. I usually fish from maumee to waterville during the day and catch channels and smallmouth bass during the day into evening. I have never caught any cats over 26" in this area.

I am trying to determine if I should go somewhere above the dam-from the dam to the 109 bridge, or below the dam, from the dam to waterville. I have a kayak, not necessarily to fish from but to get me from point to point and I plan on using bluegills for bait.

Without divulging any particular spots which area do you guys think would be the best place to find a few 5-20 pounders to CPR. I'm not after the giants, I dont have the gear for that.

Thanks

2. JKrupp

JKrupp New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I know alot of guys that fish the tailwaters of the dam with great sucess and alot that fish above the dam as well. We generally fish down towards the 109 bridge

3. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    With a kayak I would try below the dam at either Van Tassel or Weirs Rapids and try around the islands. Both places go from shallow to deep water. Weirs Rapids is a cascading bottom that adds lots of oxygen to the water and when the water is low enough we take our lawn chairs and sit out on the stone piles or in the water. Another spot to put in is in Perrysburg at Maple street. There again you can head to the island and fish around it, but you can't go on that island because its a wildlife sanctuary.
    The public access in Waterville, anywhere from the access downstream to the rapids by the 475 bridge. Target holes and around the bridge pylons in Waterville and the 475 bridge.
    Holes and structure are what you are looking for. It's not as easy as saying I'm going to catch a few flats. Most nights it's a long wait between fish, with a lot of shut out nights. I have been fishing for them a long time and never count on any night producing multiple fish.
    Good luck and hope you get a big one.

4. adamj

adamj New Member

State:
    buckeye land
    There are flatheads above and below grand rapids dam. Above the dam would be better for the kyak although I don't think I'd want to fish out of it. If you fish from shore any of the public access areas will produce flatheads. From the boat look for downed trees on the outside river bends. Don't be afraid to fish real shallow or pretty deep (10ft+) let the fish tell you where they are. Below the dam is quite different. From the plunge pool to past the train bridge is ruled by rock. It is quite shallow so you have to key on the holes.With a normal summer flow it's all wadable so you'll have to find the holes. Some are much better than others, but finding them will take some time and I hope you can swim! Either way as Joe said it will take time so expect to put in many nights with little or no results. Sooner or later you will be rewarded and you might want to beef up that tackle because your first fish could be a 50lber-- you sure wouldn't want to loose that!

5. photoman

photoman New Member

State:
    ohio
    Thanks guys. I will probably try either the Van tassel or wiers rapids area. If I have success I will post photos.