Maumee River 9/12 flathead catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Howie Ketchdem, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Howie Ketchdem

Howie Ketchdem New Member

WENT BACK TO MAUMEE, WEDS. NIGHT FISHED THE BRIDGE A FORT MEIGS WITH 8" RIVER SHINNERS HAD ONE BITE(THINK IT WAS A CHANNEL) WAS NOT A RUNNER JUST A COULPE SHAKES AND ONE GOOD PULL, SET IT AND MISSED. BAIT SHOWED THE FISH ON HAD 2" OF BAIT IN HIS MOUTH.(THE WRONG TWO INCHES)LOL. THEN I TRIED A 13" CHANNEL CAT FOR BAIT BUT NO LUCK. STILL LOOKING FOR THAT FIRST FLATHEAD, BUT ITS HARD AS HELL TO FIND A SPOT TO FISH AT NIGHT ON THAT RIVER, ALL THE PARKS THAT I KNOW OF CLOSE AT NIGHT EXCEPT FOR BUTTONWOOD WHICH I DONT THINK IS TO GOOD FOR FLATHEADS, REELY FAST CURRENT. IF ANY BODY HAS ANY INPUT ON WHERE TO GO, AND I DONT MEAN YOR HONEY HOLES, I JUST WANT TO FIGURE OUT WHERE TO PARK AND HAVE A CHANCE AT A FLATHEAD, I WOULD BE VERY APPRECIATIVE OF THIS INFO, THANKS BROS.

2. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    Me and Randy are going out tonight about 10. If you want to go here are directions from tecumsuh.
    Come down 52
    52 becomes 109 when you get to ohio
    109 makes a jog thru delta, turn left on rt 2/109 turn right at 2nd stop light in delta following 109.
    take 109 all the way to river.
    cross river on 109 bridge
    as soon as you cross turn left onto 110 go about 6 miles
    turn left into mary jane thurston park

sign says closed at 11, that doesn't go for fishermen. if you go into grand rapids you missed it. park around the handicapped signs in the middle of the lot.
    I'm gonna try for 10 to get there and randy should be there about same time. Last time we used livers and caught shad in a cast net.

3. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Mickey, If you take the time to get to know the park rangers or DNR folks where you want to fish you might be suprised and get to fish all night once in awhile. If you do get to do it, DO NOT invite anyone to come with you. Once the word spreads they will have to shut you out again. It was just a thought, there is always a way if you try hard enough.

4. marcusbigdaddy1

marcusbigdaddy1 New Member

State:
    ohio
    WEVE BEEN FISHING JUST UPRIVER FROM WATERVILEE AND HAVE BEEN HAMMERING SOME DECENT FLATTIES... LOOKS LOIKE A GOOD YEAR.I COUGHT A 41 LBER THERE LAST YEAR, CTHE WIERD THING IS IVE BEEN CATCHING MORE AND BIGGER FLATHEADS ON SHAD THAN THE GILLS. MY BIGGEST WAS 72 LBS IN NC.ILL BET IN THE LAST CPL OF YEARS IVE COUGHT 500 FLATHEADS OND A CPL HUNDRED CHANNELS . THE FLATHEADS RANGE FROM 10 TO 41 LBS AND THE CHANNELS FROM 5 TO 25 LBS. IM FISHING FROM SHORE USEING BOTH SHAD AND BLUEGILLS.VAN TASSEL IS ANOTHER GREAT SPOT.I DONT WANTTO GIVE AWAY MY SECERET SPOT BUT UILL TELL YOU ITS FISHED ALOT