Maumee River 5-9 weird flathead catch

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by adamj, May 10, 2009.

1. adamj

adamj New Member

State:
    buckeye land
    Went out to the maumee bank fishing with my buddy phil. We used cut shad targeting flatheads. I ran into 3 boc members, 1 while getting bait which for the life of me I can't remember his screen name and later xsmokin joe and randy(impak 209)happend along while we were fishing. I ended up with 1 flat and 2 channels. I got the flat in a strange way. While casting I accidentally went over a tree that was overhanging the water and broke my line off. About 20 minutes later I heard a big splash near the tree. Watching the tree with the spotlight I saw no movement from the line. About a hour after the other guys showed up we heard another splash once again I spotlighted the tree and then I saw some movement from the line. I ran down the bank to the tree ended up getting a handsaw and climbing out and cutting the end of the tree off.With joe's and randy's help I got the line and pulled in a feisty 19 pound flathead. This fish was on my broke off line for at least 2 hours and when I got him in the circle hook fell out of his mouth. Everyone watching was hoping that I was going to fall in the water. It was quite a funny scene! The two channels were in the 8lb range .

Attached Files:

2. adamj

adamj New Member

State:
    buckeye land
    I only got a picture of one of the channels for some reason. Another of the flat.

Attached Files:

3. stangcrazy85

stangcrazy85 New Member

State:
    PerryTucky
    that really is one of those holy shat moments isint it so i guess you could have called it a bank or tree line i am assuming you still had a hell of a time with a handsaw hanging out of the tree Just plain funny

4. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh New Member

State:
    Ohio
    At least you got him. Cool story........olj

5. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    Hmmm...got me wondering what the state "accidental limb-lining" flathead record might be anyway Adam?:wink:. Very nice catches man!

6. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Strange things never cease when you're fishing.

7. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    Was good to meet you guys that night. What you left out was the tree was under washed and laying parallel with the water and you climbed out on it 10 feet first before getting the saw. And not a big tree, was only about 6 inch diameter, 8 inch at best. We were waiting on the splash. :smile2:
    Congrats on the fish that night.

8. tkbiker

tkbiker New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Congrats on the catch and making it back to shore without getting wet!!:eek:oooh:

9. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That's a good one. Great job on retrieving the limb line.

10. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Nice work! Glad to see that you didnt flall in the water! LOL!

11. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    Congrats on the nice catch! Since there were witnesses, if it was me, I would have most likely not been as lucky as you and fallen in....

12. impak209

impak209 New Member

State:
    Toledo, Ohio, U
    it` was nice meeting you, but i must say the story doesnt do the scene justice that had to be one of the most entertaining things i have ever seen fishing , great catch:smile2:

13. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    I guess you wont forget that fish anytime soon, that will be a story told for along time, congrats nice catch, very resorceful Id say, adapt and overcome thats the spirit

14. CatFuStyle

CatFuStyle New Member

State:
    Xenia, Ohio
    awsome story, WHERES THE VIDEO!!!!!!!!!!:smile2::smile2::smile2:

15. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Congrats on a well deserved catch!

16. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    great story bro, glad you stayed dry.

17. rollinrooster69

rollinrooster69 New Member

State:
    indiana
    i love to fish the maumee river i have a few stories about hanging out on lime when the maumee was really high nice job not getting wet

18. jmjackson333

jmjackson333 New Member

State:
    Spencer, O
    That picture of your flathead is awesome, with the freaking leaves still on his tail from the tree!!!!:smile2:

19. Eudora

Eudora New Member

State:
    Lambertville, MI
    Way to go Adam. You're a man after my own heart -- anything to land a flathead!

20. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    What a great story! I wished I could have seen it too!:smile2: