matzuo sickle hook

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by lendog, Nov 27, 2008.

1. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i just ordered some matzuo octopus sickle hooks in 7/0, has anyone used these or heard any feedback about these hooks? thanks.

2. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    Lenny i have the 7/0's and they work good, very sticky. you just can't use too big a bait with them. hoping wild wolf gets the bigger ones in, if they do i will get some of them for the bigger baits i throw. i cought some nice channels and a few flatheads on the 7/0's. biggest was the second flattie i submitted for the pa/oh fishing contest we had. just watch yourself when you get them,if you don't pay attention they will stick ya.

3. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i usually use an 8/0 gama octopus circle and use 5-8 inch sunnies for bait, i liked how the sickle's looked and figured i'd give them a try, i also ordered mine from wild wolf

4. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Lenny your order is packed and waiting on the mail tomorrow.
    And I am about out of the 7/0 sickles. But if there open tomorrow.I hope to get a 1000 heading this way. If not Monday I will get the order in. And also will be ordering a 1000 of the 9/0's. Not sure they still have the 10/0's in stock.
    But I am going to take a chance and order a 1000 of the 9/0's and hope I can turn them over.
    Thanks Lenny for the order. And bw69r is right there sharp. So please do not reach in and grab the package. If so they will bite back.
    Also the 7/0 sickles work great on Bream 4 to 6". I have fished them on that size bait a few times. Just leave room in the bend of the hook. and there fine.
    Pete

5. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    To sum it up briefly. "SHARP SELF SETTIN"

6. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I got some too a while back. Like everyone said "they're sharp"
    Be careful!

7. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Since they have that sickle/arch in the secondary bend of the loop going up towards the barb.

I have to ask Has anybody have a big fish pull free from this hook?
    Can you pull it free easier than a Gama octopus?
    It just looks like to much open air ( which I know will lead to more hook-ups ) but with the barb pointing out seems fish could come off.

Thats why I'm asking.
    need some #2-3, for channels.
    7-9 for biggins.Will they HOLD Them?

8. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    Kenny i was worried about that myself when i got the 7/0's but they held onto the flatheads and channels i hooked into. still would like the 9/0 or 10/0's for the bigger baits that i like to throw. have not had a fish come unglued yet on them.

9. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Yes they hold great. When you stick a fish with them. There stuck, the gap may look funny. But they hold great, and stick the fish about as soon as he bites the bait. I have them in black 1/0,3/0 and then some red hooks on 1/0 2/0 and 3/0, 4/0,5/0 and 7/0 the 7/0's I have in both red and Black.
    Hope to get the smaller hooks added to the website tomorrow. But just Pm me if you would like to order them before I get them on-line.
    Pete
    Wild Wolf Products
    732-434-8131 Verizon

10. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
  11. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Pete Also if the 9/0 - are black- put a 25pak in with my order.

12. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Kenny I have not gotten the 9/0's in yet. Hope there in by next month.
    Pete

13. jasonminitruck

jasonminitruck New Member

State:
    tennessee
    I must say that i didn't realy think these would be that good of a hook, but after reading this post, and how good you guys say that they are i decided to give them a try. So i ordered a pack of 50 to see how they work.

14. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Jason your order should be there today. I shipped it out on the 16th.
    And Kennith yours hit the mail the 15th.
    Think both of you will like these hooks.
    Thanks for the orders.
    Pete

15. scout

scout Active Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I just recently have begun to use Sickle hooks that I got from Wild Wolf Products. They are very sharp!!! I set up a couple of poles with them and a couple of poles with the kahle hooks that I normally use. I fish them side by side. Here is what I have noticed.

The Sickle hooks are sharper than my Eagle Claw Kahle hooks.

It seems that the Sickle hooks have a slightly better hook up ratio than my Kahle hooks.

The Sickle hooks are alot easier to remove from the fish than the Kahle hooks. I am thinking that this is not a good thing but I have not noticed any more fish coming off than with my Kahle hooks.

I will continue to do more testing with the Sickles against the Kahles. So far I have onle used them on my last 3 fishing trips.

You can see some of the fish that I have been catching wiith the Sickle hooks in the Louisiana section under Scout's marsh report.:006:

16. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Have received mine Red,,

Nice looking hook,I like how the offset on the second turn lays out pretty good.( more hook-ups ):big_smile:- I think this would produce.

They don't look as heavy as the Gamakatzu that I use regularly though. I'll will definitely give them a shot, especially the 1/0 for the channels.they should be killers on them!:big_smile:

Thanks for the quick response Red.#1.Great Service Bro. Kenny:cool2:

17. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    They work very well, super sharp makes for good hook sets. Would like to see some in bigger size or even with longer shanks.

18. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Walter I hope to have some 9/0,10/0 and even 11/0 after the first of the year.
    Pete

19. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    That would be great, thanks Pete

20. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    i started using the sickle hooks last year and love them. caught alot of 20+ # flats and several channel 15+#.
    chip