Matzou Sickle Hooks

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Itch2Scratch, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Leave it to me to use the one hook no one talks about..LOL. But I have to tell you folks I have had fantastic results on Channel Cats and Blues with this baitholder hook. They come out of the package extremely sharp and have a slight offset. They also seem to hold a point well. I have given them to my fishing bud and my other fishing friends and they have had the same results. I know other hooks are all the rage and the in-thing to use, but give these a try.

2. CBH

CBH New Member

State:
    WV
    I've been eyeballing the Matzuo sickle hooks for a few days. I'd like to find some in an 8/0 or 10/0, but it looks like the biggest they make is a 7/0. I want to try them with bluegills (live and cut) for flatheads in the Ohio river. Apparently not a popular hook around here. Looks like I may have to order them from somewhere. Does anyone have any more info on these hooks???

3. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    My goodness, I think this was the first review I did on BOC when I joined...LOL.....hey....and I still consider them worth having in my tackle box today. I mainly use them with cut bait when I do.:wink:

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Ken i havent seen any in sizes large enough for cats but i've been using them for about 3 years in size 6,8,10 for trout and bluegill they are very sharp and hook well

5. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Like Chris said...I think he is right about the largest I have come across is the 7/0 also... I have mainly gotten these hooks at Cabelas and Wal-Mart but its been a while. I mostly use the 7/0 Octopus. Man you made me drag out my tackle box to look at them its been so long...LOL....is it time to start fishin yet?

6. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Matzuo seems like it would be a good company to buy from, but any hooks that I want to use that they make (octopus hooks, namely) are too small for the cats that I would use them to fish with. Oh well. I guess I will give some of the smaller baitholders a try, since they seem to work well.

7. CBH

CBH New Member

State:
    WV
    I went to Cabelas in Wheeling WV today and looked at the 7/0 Matzuo octopus sickle hooks. They're too small for my needs, and the barb on them is very small as well.