Materials for transom replacement

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by justwannano, Mar 15, 2008.

1. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    So OK its time to replace my transom.
    I'm interested in ideas here guys:big_smile:
    Also prices. I ain't a rich guy.
    I need 1 1/4 inch wood for the transom. I guess 3/4 and 1/2 inch CDX would work OK ?
    So how much epoxy do I need for a 5 square foot piece of plywood?
    Do I glass it?
    What glue do I use to put the 2 pieces together?
    Should I just use stainless hardware to reassemble or would it be better to rivet it again?
    My brother was an air frame mechanic in service so riveting would probably not be any problem.
    Would it be beneficial to cap the area that the motor clamps to with aluminum plate?
    Where is the best place to buy the epoxy?

I've probably got some more questions but this will be a start.

have a good one
    just

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Bob, try to rebuild it as close to original as you can. I assume this is an aluminium boat. Remember certain metals are not compatible with aluminium. When I did mine, I used stainless steel bolts, and as I was inserting the bolt I made sure the head was covered with a good grade marine sealant. If your boat did not have a top cap, I'd recommend you fabricate one for it, which will save you from having to do it all over again in a few years. Once I had the wood shaped to fit, I covered it with three coats of spar varnish - supposed to make it more water resistant. I didn't fiberglass mine as the original wasn't fiberglassed. The boat was a 1963 model, so the wood lasted over 50 years. lOL

3. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    What did you use for the wood?
    I'm not sure the best way to glue it.
    My transom is plywood and the boat is aluminum.

thanks for the help
    just

4. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Bob,
    Untreated plywood is ok to use. The best glue to use is the same epoxy resin that you will use to encapsulate the finished transom before you fit it in the boat.
    As shucks says, be sure to use plenty of marine grade (below the water line) sealant on all your fasteners...W

5. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    i replaced mine last year,it was a piece of 1 3/4 ply, i couldnt find anything close so i used a piece of 2x12 pressure treated.the way mine fit into the back i could cut it a little short on the width and had to put the bottom in first then pull it to the top so there were a few little gaps arpund the edges so i filled them with spray foam.replaced all the rivets that i had to removeand used ss bolts where ever i needed them,i also did some other bracing that i thought it needed.i have a older 100 hp chy hanging off the back and it does'nt move at all.

6. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    DO NOT use the new treated wood. Its treated with lots of copper and will eat any aluminum it comes into contact with. The old stuff was treated differently and was widely used in boats....dont do it with the new stuff.

7. fowlmood

fowlmood New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I am about to order some form this guy. Contact him on how much to use, he knows his stuff and his prices are very good.
    http://www.jgreer.com/