Matching the Hatch?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by TA2D, Jul 22, 2007.

1. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    What do you guys think about "matching the hatch" when it comes to catfishing? For instance, right now there are alot of sand toads on the banks now, and I have heard that they are really good bait. And when the shad start showing up those should be good. I guess what I am trying to say is, should we use what has recently hatched for bait?

Aaron

TA2D

2. GUNTZ

GUNTZ New Member

State:
    CLEBURNE texas
    I THINK THIS WILL WORK FOR THE SMALLER FISH ,BUT NOT SO MUCH FOR THE BIGGER ONES(BIG BAITS BIG FISH). THATS MY YWO CENTS!!!!!!!!

3. Zombie76

Zombie76 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I agree with the big bait big fish. However, I also know that cat eat what is available. Granted, you may not catch much, if any, over the 10-12lb mark but, I think you could kill 'em with those baits.

4. ohiocattin15

ohiocattin15 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I also agree with big bait big fish, but if you can locate these big fish and give them what they want you will catch them for instince, the largest channel cat i've caught was on leaches because every fish we were pulling out tha day had leaches attached to them, once we noticed this we started using leaches in the deeper water and thats what caught the biggest fish of the day, although a 14 pound channel isnt huge compaired to some, it was big for the body of water we were fishing. Id use the toads

5. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    I have friends that swear by using sand toads for bait. I have always wanted to try but when i do for some reason they are not around:sad2: My buddys were useing them a few weeks ago and they caught 10 fish and the smallest went 3lbs all the way to 20 lbs all channel though. They said that they have caught flats on the toads also.