Matching a rod to reel ?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by bootshowl, May 13, 2007.

1. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    How bout lil rod talk for the novice...Just put down the BPS master fishing catalog & realized, I don't have a clue what most of the references are. Looked in the library for an article..didn't see one. For instance saw lots of reference to "millions of modulus" ????? Sounds like an infestation of something. I'm not teasing, I really don't know. When I bought a rod and knew what was being talked about last, eyelets were all metal and fiberglass was the material of choice. And handles were all metal an cork on a quality unit. I still have a Shakesphere "WonderRod". I wasn't kidding when I said I needed new stuff.
    :confused2:

2. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Gary "modulus" refers to how stiff a fiber is, rather how efficinently it can accept and release energy. This is mainly on graphite rod blanks. The reason for graphite rods is to reduce weight. the reason most "Cat Men" don't use them is cost, and they abuse rods more than say a bass or crappie fisherman. E-glass and S-glass are more suitable for the heavy weights and large fish we target. This does not mean you can't use graphite rods but just imigane a 309 Penn reel on a lite weight graphite rod. In my shop I have no less than 30 different reels used just to put on rods I build, if I'm not happy with one I call the client and tell them and let them make the decision. As far as "matching" rods and reels, it take a little time, it is always nice to know what reel people are trying to use so you can get the right reel seat, and guides and the # of guides on a blank along with the length of grips. Hope this helps you out a little

3. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    If youre looking to get new gear the guys here will probally tell you more than a bp mag. lots of different people using lots of gear in alot of different places ect.... check the archives for complaints of broken gear and cross them off the to buy list, what size of rod & reel you need to fish were you are at and over all what rods & reels in the size you need do the majority of members aprove of.

4. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    As a general rule I tell people this The more modulus the lighter the rod will be but also less abrasive and cost more. The lower the number the heaver the rod will be and also will cost you less.

5. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Your combo should reflect the type fish you are going after....Whether you're bankfishing, boat, or what.....I'll say this....I've got a rod ordered from blackhorse...To see a pic of the rod, go to www.blackhorsecustomrods.com and it will be the top two pics on his homepage.....Some like quality, some don't.....You just have to almost give us a "Bio" of your type/style of fishing before we can help with the equipment deal.....I will say that the Eglass rods are better suited for catfishing for the bigger cats...You just can't beat the Ugly Stiks for their price.....Hope this helps....Dwight

6. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    I LOOK FOR DURABILITY AND PERFORMANCE WHEN I CHOOSE ROD AND REEL.ONE OF THESE DAYS I'D LIKE TO GET GATOR TO BUILD ME A CAT ROD!!

7. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    There's no doubt in my mind that, day in and day out, a high modulus graphite stick will catch more fish, or at least, will "fish better". If I only owned one rod, it would be graphite.

But that's not the case. I've got about 10 rods just for catfishing. They get pretty rough treatment, and I'm not willing to expose $200+ rods to that abuse.

As Dwight said, you've first got to decide what you're going to ask of a rod, and go from there.

I no longer try to "match" a reel to a rod, but rather, go through the same drill that I do with the rod...what am I asking the reel to do? The resulting combos seem to match just fine.