Master Flatheadders. Help needed.

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by ohiocattin15, Jun 16, 2008.

1. ohiocattin15

ohiocattin15 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I fish a pond where i am sure there are huge flatheads, because ive seen them before. This pond has a huge amount of bluegill and that is all i use as bait pretty much and it works. but only for channels. I recently started to use live bluegill but i am fishing open water not around any cover. Everytime i throw a big lively bluegill out it either dies or i get a huge channel. What sould I do? go around bushes or trees or what. theres plenty of cover around the north eatern shore but the south western is all open. I would love to catch a flathead. Ive never caught one before

2. Dbeals05

Dbeals05 Member

State:
    Ohio
    Flathead like to stay around heavy cover. Where there are snags, there will be flathead's.

3. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    and if there are a lot of bluegills ar ound the lake,it makes it hard to catch them just because of all the bluegills swimming around.like dbeals said,fish the heaviest cover.try to use the biggest bluegills to keep the channels off.

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    try something other than bluegill, something that they have not seen...chubs, shad etc.

5. ohiocattin15

ohiocattin15 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    okay thanks alot guys

im setting my goal to catch a flathead by the end of june

6. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I would suggest fishing closer to the bank in shallow water late at night.

7. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I would say that these are a lot of good ideas. I would defineatly change my bait to something a little more "exotic" (just like people the flats will crave change in their diet) and try to fish the edges of the deep water that is closest to the bank. The flats will either come up there to eat the gills or they will lay just under the edge and ambush them that way. These ideas should work...............if not write us back

8. ohiocattin15

ohiocattin15 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    there is a corner with standing trees in like 6-8 feet of water, im going to go from like 10 till the sun comes up with live gill, chubs, and bullheads.

9. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    All good advice given. A Flathead has a very large mouth so don't be afraid to use large live bait...I landed a 16" long Flathead using a 12" long Sucker once, they are eating machines. Another thing since I have a pond, you mentioned that fishing your gills they died. That could be caused by a lack of oxygen on the bottom from decaying. Try using a float and raise your bait up off the bottom where there is better oxygen.

10. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    If u r sure there r huge Flats use an 11-12 inch Channel fer live bait!!

If placed on a big bobber where it can not reach the bottom them Channels will dance for a L O N G time.

Channels can take the stress better than gills too.

For live bait I prefer Bullheads and Channels.

:0a26:

11. MSgtCatfish

MSgtCatfish New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Good advice given, only thing else I can add is if all the stuff mentioned in this post don't work, use dynamite ... errrrrr not, I mean punt!:wink:

12. ohiocattin15

ohiocattin15 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    sounds like ive got plenty of options

13. BigCatJakeSr

BigCatJakeSr New Member

State:
    Bellville, OH10
    If the bait in the pond is abundant that predator doesn't have to go searching and wasting his energy in the search. Drop your bait down into the structure or close as possible. If it is your pond create an area in which to lure the bait too and keep there. Some ponds I fish that the owner daily place food pellets in one area at the same time everyday, just after dusk, approx. and hour prior to dark. The blegills feed and then rest in the area as it gets dark. Do this near the structure and do it routinely the pattern will be established and the flatties will come in a suck up the blegills. You don't have to use the expensive pellets, moistened fish based catfood works well. Hopes this works. But best bet is drop near or in structure and wait. Good Luck and Good Fishing.

14. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I like to float Bluegills near the bank late at night for big Flatheads. They seem to come in near the banks at night in search of food. You can also fish Bluegills on the bottom. Just toss them out a few feet from the bank with a sinker to hold them in place. Also try multiple poles in various locations around the pond. Be sure to use heavy duty rod holders and loosen drags so they can take out line. Good Luck to ya!!!!!:crazy:

15. hawk

hawk New Member

State:
    kenton ohio
    These guy gave you a lot of good advice and all i can tell you is find some big creek chubs and fish the brush . But you also want to look at what way the wind is blowing when your fishing. Fish with the wind blowing in your face cause it blows the plankton in the top layer of water to where the fish will be waiting . Plankton = bait fish and bait fish = catfish

16. massa_blake

massa_blake New Member

State:
    Texas
    Fish the heavy cover flaties like to stay there. If they wont hit on that bluegill try something else. I have had good luck with small live carp, live and cut bluegill, and cut shad.