Master Angler rumblings

Discussion in 'LOCAL MICHIGAN TALK' started by dreamcatcher, May 12, 2006.

1. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Man, two fishing threads in a row! I don't know what I'm going to do with myself...ROTFLOL

I was digging around the data that has come out in the last five years in our state and found some interesting stuff that you guys probably already know. I am still confused about all this master angler stuff though. I understand that you can make an entry for say, channel cats with a minimum weight of eight pounds for the catch and keep category (catch and release doesn't maintain weight, just length only). I wonder do they keep a running tally, and post results at the end of the year, or how all that works? Heck, I caught a nine pounder which would have got me above the minimum standard. Is it more of an informational thing just to see where and what they are biting on, and promoting the fishery? If I was being honest, the only entry I would like to make is 41 pounds, but wouldn't be upset if I got 50 (give something for folks to shoot for LOL). If there is a fish of that size in our state (and I believe there are a few somewhere) it would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 plus years of age!!! The channels do live longer here...

Hey, you guys that are catching flatheads every day let some of the rest of us know what they are hitting on, and some of the oddball spots you are finding them in. Here is a list of some spots they have been supposedly caught from according to the Master angler entries:

St. Joseph River - No surprise here. The largest fish recorded came from here, with the largest being 40.88 pounds with a live bluegill. Berrien County is listed on most of the entries. Why does this place have to be so far away? LOL.

Grand River - This is the second most spot people are chiming in with their catches.

Kalamazoo River - This is the river Jim Ross fishes, and there have been a few nice fish entered from there. 36.25 was the largest entry from Allegan county.

Those are the main ones, but here are a few others:
    Little Bay De Noc
    Tipisco Lake
    Crooked Lake
    Van Etten Lake
    Muskegon Lake and river
    Sanford Lake
    Pratt Lake
    Lake Allegan
    Saginaw Bay and river!!!- The bay is a pretty big place so I couldn't begin to think where they might be, but I can't envision them in the area we fish. The entry for the bay was in 2003. The guy caught it while trolling. The fish are caught using all kinds of bait (except chicken liver and stinkbait LOL). Some were caught artificially, some cut, but most were caught using live fish. To get certified you need a color photo for identification by a fisheries biologist. I hope the biologist is somebody different than the guy we met on the campsite, eh Sparky? This state is notorious for not knowing the catfish species...

There were no entries for blue catfish, even though they are caught all the time by anglers:005:

You want to turn your nose up at bowfin? LOL. I'm not going to do that anymore, and will start to target them like catfish.:cool2: State record is only 14 pounds, and these things are everywhere!!! ROTFLOL!!! Besides, you got to turn to something big if the cats aren't biting!

Speaking of something big, where is Black Lake? People spear sturgeon there early in the year. I didn't know you could legally do that...They do hook and line them with nightcrawlers out of the St Clair waterway the remainder of the year

Back to the channels, which is my favorite fish because of Exxon Mobil. Largest entry in five years is 31 pounds, and NONE of the entries in the last five years came from Houghton Lake. Yep, ties into the whole Loch Ness monster mystique with Houghton Lake. LOL. Time to go get Nessie... Channel cats are everywhere, but I was surprised that there aren't any in Lake Superior. That doesn't mean anything to us, but I wonder why that lake doesn't have them?

Lastly, we got to get Don and Sparky a flathead this year come hell or high water if we can get them on a river somewhere with some bigger hooks. LOL.

2. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    You must have a lot of time on your hands!

While snorkeling, I have seen dogfish that I'm sure would clear 14#, so that record is vulnerable. It will probably come from a lake, though, one with a big population of stunted bluegills and few other predators.

I have caught channels in Munuscong Bay, near Drummond Island, part of the St. Mary's river, that drains Lake Superior- so I can't believe there are none at all in LS.

All those entries for Master Angler from the St. Joe & Kazoo & Grand rivers indicate three things, really: 1. The species are there, 2. There's adequate/plentiful forage, and 3. There's plenty of folks who fish there using methods that work on cats, even if they're targeting other species. Probably plenty targeting cats, too.

Have you really seen blues caught around here? I'm not doubting you, I'm just looking for more info.
    Uh oh, back to work....

3. jross1901

jross1901 New Member

State:
    IL
    vic

last week i was talking to a fella and mentioned catfishing the k-zoo, he said he regularly catches them 25 lbs +++. with his biggest being 37 two years ago.

the biggest i've caught: flatties 16lbs. channel 11lb10oz. both last year, and that was the 1st year i've fished the river.
    food for thought
    the k-zoo has a good flattie population. very good.
    they're just crafty critters to find, but once you do don't tell a soul.
    -jim

4. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

No, that is an inside joke about people wrongfully identifying channel cats in this state. You have probably met at least one person that swears up and down that they have caught blue cats.

The LS info came from the DNR site

5. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

How far are you from Ann Arbor Jim?

6. jross1901

jross1901 New Member

State:
    IL
    my house is probably 2hrs. the allegan dam is probably half an hour closer.

7. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

So you fish Allegan Dam? I've read about the fishing there. How is the public access regarding bank fishing? How far is that from Battle Creek? I have fished the K-zoo there and caught carp.

8. jspiel

jspiel New Member

State:
    comstock park michigan
    hey vic-
    i see sal sent you the e-mail i got from amy harrington.
    what did you think? pretty interesting stuff. i hope to convince her to join us on at one of the get togethers. im sure she has lost of info to share, and i think we could offer her some insight that only a crazy catman could collect. if you decide to come over this way ans try the k-zoo at the allegan dam, let me know, ill join you. with the price of gas now, my trips are gonna be limited to this side of the state. really bummed i cant join you guys at houghton. oh almost forgot. i loved fishing for dogfish when i was a kid. i caught several one summer that would have qualified for a master angler award, but they had not started the program yet. i even got one that would have broken the state record, but i didnt know it at the time, just let him go. maybe he is still out there just waiting for you. LOL

9. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Jon,

I did appreciate that information on the black buffalo fishery and the catfish info. I was hoping that the method used would be hook and line, but found out it was bowfishing. I guess you can't knock it if you haven't tried it, but I would like to catch one on a hook. Those fish were caught on the Grand...

If the Allegan Dam is only one and a half hours from Ann Arbor I should have went there last year. That's not exactly down the street, but it's no farther than the drive to Sparky's. I will let you know what my plans are as it gets warmer(I hope it gets warmer). I think that will be my western trip this year...
    As for the dogfish, I am convinced they have my number this year, so if you can't beat them you better join them...LOL.

10. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Is the Allegan Dam a fairly built up structure? When I think of a fishing below a dam I usually think of fishing below something that is at least 30 feet high. How wide is the river at that point?

Do alot of people fish there at night? Is it well lit?

11. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Hey Vic,
    apparently you're not aware that when you pay for your fishing license, you receive a booklet called Michigan fishing guide. This year the rules apply from April 1, 2006 through March 31, 2008. On page 21 there is a list of all the fish in the State of Michigan that have been recorded for State Records along with the min. enrty for the Master Angler Awards. Both Catch and release entries and catch and Keep entries.
    Sparky

12. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Vic you are a good person slow down and relax don't get up tight i my self have been working on the next state record for 10 years channel cat! easy bud life is to short just set back and relax no time limit this gun and run wont get you any where your trying to get to much out of your time at one time

13. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

People actually read that stuff?:happy: :happy: :happy:

14. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

I'm relaxed. Maybe I'm a little overzealous with sharing the info, but...yeah, you're right...:wink:

15. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Ya,
    Some of us die hard fisherman read that booklet from cover to cover, when sitting down not fishing. As a matter of fact, you can print off an application from the dnr web. site put it in a zip lock bag, store it in your what-not- bag, like I do. Then when you catch that big fish, you can fill the paper work out and have your buddy sign it right then and there.
    Yes, they do give a master angler award for DOG FISH! Don't ask me why, but they do. I think when you recieve the patch, it says "VIC FISH"!!!! LMAO
    Sparky

16. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Seriously though, how does all that work? I have never tried to be involved with that program. In the past I've just went out and fished for food or fun. Explain it to me...

17. jross1901

jross1901 New Member

State:
    IL
    vic

the dam has plenty of access to bank fish, as this is what i do, since i don't have a boat.
    last year i caught like 20 flats and those were all caught during the day.(so throw out only night fishing for the critters).
    then dam is an old structure and the river is probably 80-100 yards wide.
    live and cut 'gill seem to do the trick, and shrimp catches to many little guys(i call them banannas), imean to many, they won't stop.

18. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Sounds like alot of fun Jim. Are some of those smaller fish good eating size? How deep would you say the water is below the dam? Does this feeding activity pretty much go on throughout the summer?

19. jross1901

jross1901 New Member

State:
    IL
    vic,

i've only been a few times, and haven't targeted flats yet. so yes it goes on throughout the summer, improving as the water gets warmer.pre spawn should be great and thats right around the corner for flats.
    good eating size but there are fish consumption signs around that area. i don't eat them myself but they're plentiful.
    its fairly deep. one hole i fish is between 8-11fow. last summer we had sal's boat out, so i paid attention. steep banks that are very deep very close to shore.plentiful bank access. bug spray required, as most fishing is out of the woods.

20. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Let me try to spell this out to you One More Time! LMAO!!!!! Go to the DNR web site. Type in Master Angler Award Application. Print off a copy! Go to your local fishing hole and catch a fish of min. required size. Take a picture of it. Fill out paper work. Mail in to the address on the application, along with a copy of the colored photo. At the end of the year the DNR will send you a patch! If the fish you catch is in the top five of the biggest fish caught that year, they will also send you a certificate so you can frame it. If you catch a new State Record Fish, They give you what ever is behind door number 3.
    LOL!!!!!!!! Got it now?
    Sparky