Massive sewage spill on the ohio

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by RisenDevil, Nov 12, 2009.

1. RisenDevil

RisenDevil New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Approximately 8 million gallons of raw sewage was dumped into the Ohio river yesterday. Here's a link with the news story http://www.wlky.com/news/21587640/detail.html

Just thought everyone should know who fishes on or lives along the Ohio River.:eek:oooh::angry::sad2:

2. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    thank God i am upriver! I realize that some things happen by accident but when it comes to the sanitation department, accidents seems to follow regularly.....:angry:. Oh and I would think Louisvilles sanitation bill should go down for a bit because they are no longer treating the water before dumping it into the river.

3. Ducati Monster

Ducati Monster New Member

State:
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Guess I'm hunting this weekend... :confused2:

4. festus

festus New Member

:confused2:Stuff similar to this happens quite a bit and is never reported to the public. Sometimes during periods of heavy rains, municipalities will bypass their lift stations and dump sewage straight into a stream. But this sewage is really watered down from all the rain, but nonetheless, it's still sewage. It's either that, or infiltrate their main plant, either option isn't good. Just a fact of life. :eek:oooh:

5. catfishingricky

catfishingricky Member

State:
    kentucky
    thats is the area i fish i guess i will find out this weekend what it does for the fishing

6. MILLDOG

MILLDOG New Member

State:
    OHIO
    You all becareful down there around the big spill,, could cause a lot of medical problems,, if you get it on you,, stay safe..

7. Ducati Monster

Ducati Monster New Member

State:
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Yeah, they said on the news to avoid contact with the river down stream of the spill.

8. o'boro cat hunter

o'boro cat hunter New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Will this sh## float all the way down to Owensboro??????:angry::angry::angry:

9. RisenDevil

RisenDevil New Member

State:
    Indiana
    They announced on the same news channel as the link I posted that you shouldn't take any fish for at least a week and no swimming for at least three days. They also said that every environmental agency that is supposed to be notified has been.

10. RisenDevil

RisenDevil New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yes indeed it will

11. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    It sounds to me that the fish and the fishermen will both be full of SH*T,,,,:smile2::smile2:

12. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    This makes news, but you really do not want to know how often smaller spills take place.

Think every good rain, and more.

One treatment plant on the Gdotte R. here in WV loses tens of thousands of gallons a year on average from equipment failure.

The City of Huntington WV still has storm and septic sewers as one line. A right good rain causing an overload of the system,,, and guess where the overload goes....

Multiply that by all the cities, towns, villages, piss-poor septic tanks, who have the same situation,, and like I said,,,, you don't really want to know.

Some folks say we have done plenty to stop pollution,,, it costs too much,,,,truth is, we have a very long way to go to even stop the most basic of pollution.

13. oldheavyd

oldheavyd New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Its a tragedy to see something like this happen. But take it from me it wont have much effect on the river like some think. It will be broke down to nothing in no time.

14. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    wow hope it dont hurt the fishery? and i bet someone is gonna get a big a$$ fine for this screw up

15. RisenDevil

RisenDevil New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I understand and respect that opinion but this isn't 10's of thousands every now and again. This was 8 million in one day. 10's of thousands is typical of any large river city in the rainy seasons with routine flooding. Sad but routine.

16. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    Lets look at the facts here,as long as the fines for pollution like this are lower than the treatment cost these "accidents" will continue. It seems these "accidental" spills occur during heavy rains when most people are not out where the spill can be seen and is probably diluted and gone without the place the spill originated from getting caught,or having enough rainwater runoff so the spill cannot be traced directly back to them.

8 million gallons probably an accident,the 10 thousand here 20 thousand there spills that happen every day in this country add up to way more than 8 million and alot of these are purposly done to avoid paying the treatment cost,it's not just raw human waste either,it's waste from livestock,waste from industrial plants,and dirty water from many different sources that pollute or lakes and rivers.

I have worked at places where we had spills,the bosses were not concerned with the 50 thousand dollar fine,they were estatic that they wouldn't have to pay the 200,000 dollar waste removal and storage fees.

17. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Now ain't that just a sh!++y situation??? and the sad part of it is they don't give a sn!t how much went in. I'll bet truth be known there was more spilled than they reported!!!:angry:

18. brian88b

brian88b Member

State:
    Fairdale, KY
    Just when I thought I had a HAWG and dang it only to pull in a LOG, smelly one, lol. Yeah glad I fish upriver from it was actually fishing the night it happened.

19. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    All them turds floatin around should have em fat and sassy:cool2: