massive flathead in oklahoma

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by loki1982, Jul 16, 2008.

1. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Some pics I took this weekend at an event I went to in oklahoma.

okie 1.jpg

okie 2.jpg

okie 3.jpg

2. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas

3. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Is that one of those noodling tournaments?

* Aside from the first picture with the fish on the ground.. It looks like they took care of them.. Were they released, or eaten?

Thanks!

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Those are some pretty massive fish, thanks for the pics

5. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    The guy in that pic is famous. I've seen him on TV.

Thanks for sharing the pics.

6. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    Hey Jared, can you provide some more details on this ?????

7. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Those are some nice fish! Do you have any weights?:big_smile:

8. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Noodling contest
    Last weigh in was at 7:30 PM, we left at 6:30 and the biggest fish was weighed at 64.2 pounds at that time, the biggest stringer of 3 fish was 172 pounds.

I dont know what they did with the fish afterwards, the way they were taking care of them I assume they were going to release them. They were taking really good care of most of them, I only saw 1 out of about 50 that was not probably going to make it.

One group had atleast 7 flats that were 30+ pounds.

Most of the fish we saw were between 30 and 50 pounds, with only 2-3 around 20#

9. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

That was one of the guys on the Dirty Jobs Episode on Noodling.

Nice pics of some great Flats!!!

10. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    Those are some nice fish. Thanks for the pics.

11. Flatspontoons

Flatspontoons New Member

State:
    Texas
    Yep, those were some really nice flatheads....no doubt about that! :big_smile:

However, I'm still not sure how I feel about noodlin'......I don't think it would "rub me the wrong way" so much if the fish weren't spawning with 1,000's of eggs needing protection by the parent fish.....

How many flathead fry won't survive because dad (or mom) was yanked out of the den-hole by the noodler, driven 10 miles to weigh-in site, then dumped back into the river miles from the den-hole?

I'm not that keen on juggin', limblines or trotlines for flatheads, either.....I realize I'm probably in the "minority" on that issue.....but big flatheads are such an excellent fighting sportfish, I hate to see them harvested by any means other than rod-and reel...... :embarassed:

Richard

12. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i just wanna know where they turned them loose.

13. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Did you enjoy any of the BBQ while there? I live in that small town, if you are ever up that way again drop me a line....

14. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Where did this take place at? I also have mixed emotions about taking fish off a nest regardless of what means.They always have the FLW bass tourney on Beaver lake when the fish are on the bed. I doubt she can swim 10 miles back to her nest before the bream have a feast.

15. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    He was also on the National Geographic Channel on one of thos Hooked Monster Fish episodes.

He has a tatoo of a flathead with a human arm in it's mouth. It said BITE ME1

16. Redneck1

Redneck1 Guest

Here's a question, how many flathead eggs won't hatch if the female is harvested on rod and reel on their way to the spawing hole? I really don't see the big deal. We kill deer during the rut I haven't heard anyone complain about that.

17. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    In Oklahoma, taking of non game by hand and and any other method is legal, Flatheads fall under the non game species, there is a size limit and creel limit.

This is not a new fad in Oklahoma, my uncles and my Dad did it for years. Today we still have about the same number of flathead as we did back then. If everyone in Oklahoma noodled, then I would be worried about our Flathead population, this is not the case.

18. rockfordflathunter

rockfordflathunter New Member

State:
    rockford,illino
    They do not release the fish they take good care of them for the wiegh in and after that they are table fare.

19. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I am a rod and reel fisherman only now, I have set lines in my younger years, and did some noodling myself. That being said, I ask you this, how many fish can you eat in one year? The end result is the same. Either I catch 3 20 lbers or 1 60 lb fish, those 3 fish will probably produce the same amout of eggs as the 60 lber, and have a lot better survival chance than 1 fish. About 3 years ago, I caught probably close to 1000 lbs of catfish, I kept probably 200 lbs, gave away another 100 or so, and the rest I released. You can only eat so many fish.

I have listened to both sides of the arguement on table fare vs CPR, granted I would like to see the bigger fish released so I might have a shot at it one of these days, but then again as long as people are following their state regulations and guide lines, they can harvest fish under any of the "Legal" methods.

Most of the noodlers I know, only noodle, they rarely fish with rod and reel or set lines. They get skunked, then they dont eat fish.

20. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    That's probably because we kill deer during the rut. not when they give birth, or walking around pregnant.