massachussetts catfishing

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by okie rat, Jan 13, 2009.

1. okie rat

okie rat New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    hey all.. im going to be moving to massachussetts for job reasons here in about another summer. being one from an area that has no shortage of monster cats, im not sure what to expect. are there any cats besides channels in mass.? im hoping at least some flatheads have made way into the rivers up there. i know better than to wish for blues though.. any info to prove me wrong? any intelligence i can get would help me greatly.. i just want to hear theres some nice cats at my new home. i guess worst come worst i can just break the channel record for my health and then hit the atlantic for some big stripers and such... :cool2: i just love being in close proximety to fish that can spool you no problem. :eek:oooh:

2. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    You may want to transform into a striper fisherman because Massachusettes isn't known for it's catfishing. Unfortunately,no flatheads that far north and the channels are the biggest cats you will find up there. You also can catch white cats and bullheads too:embarassed:.

A catfisherman moving to Massachusettes is like a snowboarder moving to Iraq!

3. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I'm afraid that I believe Blacky's right. I grew up next door in Rhode Island and never even caught a channel cat there. I have heard that the Connecticut River has good channel cats, so that's a possiblilty. Otherwise, I'd say go with the flow - there's good trout fishing in the Berkshires and the salt has stripers, bluefish, flounder, tautog (or blackfish as they call them further south), squeteague (weakfish), and so on and so on...

4. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    also do not forget the smallmouth bass there also as well

5. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    as far as i know there are no flatheads or blues that far north, but being on the upper east coast myself i know they should have a health population of channels, white cats and i think black bullheads. white cats are cool kind of a mix btween channels and bullheads.

6. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    I know nothing about that fine state other than I drove up from VA to buy a boat last winter. The guy I bought my boat from was a striped bass fishing fool.:smile2:

7. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Gotta say, if I had an opportunity to walk in the footsteps of Henry Lyman and Frank Woolner, catfish would be the farthest thing from my mind.

8. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    dave good point i didn't think of that and at least i heard of henry lyman. the bad thing is their striper season is shorter than ours however they raise them big up there. they have more 30+ caught up there than anywhere else except VA Beach in the winter.

9. okie rat

okie rat New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i wont lie, that sure is disheartening. gotta do what you gotta do, but for a guy that holds the philosophy of "if it aint a big cat its bait", thats gonna take some time to get used to.. i dont mind striper fishing though so you know im going to have to change some of my skills. how far north have the flatheads gotten? i figured maybe theyd of gotten to the conneticutt river if not close.. im going to have to plan a few trips further south inorder to get a taste of what i love. thanks for the info guys..

10. okie rat

okie rat New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    how far north have blues gotten? im going to no doubt take some trips south throughout the year to get my taste. i know theres some great blues in the coastal rivers on the east coast. i figured maybe theyd be heading further and further north mainly in the conneticut (sp?) river.

thanks for the info guys..

11. okie rat

okie rat New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i agree that there are some great minds to follow in that territory. thats part of why im happy to go. im just completley a cat man at heart so the prospect of no cats hurts me.. so on the connetecutt (sp?) river, are the channels of any size? a cat is a cat so i cant complain, i just like to have the drag spooled by a creature of the depths.. all in all it looks like im going to be a misplaced cat man fishin for them ocean stripers.. at least i have the equipment for it. thanks for the info guys..

12. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    PA and VA are not too bad a drive. You can be there in a day for a weekend of chasing big cats.

13. Jerry60k

Jerry60k Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    You could even drop down into Maryland and fish the Potomac.Dont rule out the fact is in Northern waters you have very large Pike and Musky.

14. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    and you could alway take up ice fishin, i'm sure you'll see lots of that up there:eek:oooh:

15. finster31

finster31 New Member

State:
    Mohnton Pa
  16. joe28

joe28 New Member

State:
    MA
    Just signed up so this post is late but I fish for channel cats in CT river from Holyoke to Agawam and there are many good catfish to be had. Have caught many from 10-12 pound range still waiting for the 20 pounder!!