MASCOUTAH CITY LAKE

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by catfisherman369, May 28, 2009.

1. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I was noising around looking for info. on Mascoutah lake and came across this interesting article .

Biologist Cronin also mentioned this small gem of a bass fishery in the city of Mascoutah in St. Clair County. The catch is you will have to fish from the bank of this municipal pond, which could have the densest population of largemouths in Illinois.

“Mascoutah has been a consistent producer of fish for a long time,” Cronin said. “In our last survey, we had a catch rate of 214 bass per hour. What’s amazing is these are quality fish. Over 33 percent of the population is 15 inches or larger, and we always find a number of fish in the 5- to 6- pound class.”

At 17 acres, Mascoutah is pretty simple to figure out. Most anglers walk the bank and report good success by tossing spinnerbaits, small crankbaits and 7-inch plastic worms.

http://www.illinoisgameandfish.com/fishing/bass-fishing/IL_0807_01/

2. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    As a native of Mascoutah, I have fished that lake pretty much my entire life. Yes, there are some nice fish, but I've seen people pull out baskets full of bass under 12 inches or so. There used to be good crappie fishing as well, but so many people kept EVERYTHING they caught that it stunted the crappie growth IMO.

The bass fishing is still pretty good, with a few quality fish. I love throwing topwaters and buzzbaits parallel to the banks. I have also caught some nice fish on soft plastics rigged Texas style using 2-3 oz weights to get out into the middle of the lake. Oh yeah, watch out for the snakes - they are everywhere! :eek:oooh:

3. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I might get around to trying it just for something different . I hear ya on the keeping of small fish thing . That is how it is here . We have a few spots that had trophy bass but with people keeping baskets full of little ones the trophys have slowed down big time .

I guess some folks just dont care . That is why the largemouth record has held so long and will hold for awhile longer im sure .

Thanks for the info on the snakes if I get that way I will decrease the snake population for sure lol .

4. Human Resources 31

Human Resources 31 New Member

State:
    Ottawa, Central Illinois
    THERE IS A LAKE IN PERU ILLINOIS CALLED BAKER LAKE. FISHING FOR THE KIDS IS A+. THERE ARE NICE BASS IN IT AND SOME LOCAL OLDER FISHERMAN WILL TOSS IN A COUPLE 33 TO 50 POUND FLATHEADS TO MAKE BARBIE POOLS BEND IN HALF. BLUEGILLS YOU CANT KEEP YOUR POOL IN THE WATER A SECOND YOU HAVE ONE ON. NOT VERY BUG BUT GOOD CAT BAIT :wink:

5. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I used to fish Mascoutah Lake back in the 70's while I was stationed at Scott. There are actually quite a few good spots around that area. I also liked Carlyle Lake real well back then also. Brings back memories, Thanks. Later Andy