Mary Lake

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Little Luey, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona
    how is the fishing at Mary Lake by the end of July?
    I am planning a trip up there and just wanted to know how the fishing is out there and what is a good bait for that lake.
    Any sugestions are welcome.

Thanks

2. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    I have fished there the last two summers and could only seem to put out little to medium northern pike. We would just troll around about 1-2 mph and use chart. crankbaits. We would have one or so more every trip around the lake

3. stinky fingers

stinky fingers New Member

State:
    Buckeye,Arizona
    Hey Luey. I was up at Lake Mary June of last year for a week. Stayed at the Lake View campground there's a paved trail from the CG that leads down to the lake. I fished right at the bend. Caught some nice channels on anchovies early morning they would stoped biting about an hour after the sun came up. Tried a couple of nights no bites? During the day caught the hell out of the crappies using 2'' chartreuse curly tail grubs. Make a long cast and let it sink to the bottom before working it back in. Lost a few Northerns then started using steel leaders and ended up catching quite a few. Nice CG and great fishing. Hope this helps. Good luck,

4. Kevin N

Kevin N New Member

State:
    Alabama
    where is lake mary and how can i find more about the lake???

5. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Thanks for the info guys.
    Lake Mary is near Flagstaff, and I also was looking for info on it, I cannot fidn a lot about it, all I have found says it is a good trout fishery and very little of anything else.

6. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott

with those trout, be asured that there are HUGE numbers of northern pike!

7. Brokenlines

Brokenlines New Member

State:
    Arizona
  8. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    Luey,

I am sorry for not posting on this sooner. I was at the Colorado River over the weekend (left Thursday night) and did not get back until late Saturday. I was getting caught up at work yesterday and did not get online to respond. Below is some information on both lakes.

Upper Lake Mary:

The lake is really low this year, but with promises of rain from the monsoon season, the levels could raise quite a bit. There are some good places to fish from the bank and the bite should be pretty good. It is best to fish in the early evening and into the night. I typically use anchovies on a 5/0 circle hook or use waterdogs (which can be purchased at the Lake Mary Country Store a few miles away). I have caught numerous channels out of the lake mostly ranging in the 2lb to 5lb range. There are some larger cats in the lake, but they are a rare find.

The best place that I like to fish from is in the Narrows. To get to this area, driving from Flagstaff toward Mormon Lake, drive past both boat ramps and round the corner. At the second pull-off, you will see a trail that leads down to the lake. If you reach the boat ramp for the Narrows, you have gone too far. To the left of the trail, you will see some bouys on the water. Cast toward them and you should get some fish.

Mormon Lake:

This lake really does not have any fish in it. It was reported that there were bullheads in the lake years ago, but with drought conditions for years, the lake was dry too long and I don't beleive anything has been stocked back in there. The last time I saw Mormon lake, it was really coming close to being dry again.

Let me know if you have any questions. I may have to join you for a little fishing.

Ryan

9. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona
    thanks for the help guys.:big_smile: