martygreen's keep alive tank

Discussion in 'Catfishing Library' started by martygreen, Aug 31, 2007.

1. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    Hey Guys,was checking out some of the other tanks posted here in the library and had been wanting to build myself one,got alot of ideas from the ones posted here and had some ideas of my own,wish i would have thought to take some pics while under construction but I didnt,I got some pics here,hope they may give you guys a few ideas on yours if you take on building one.First of all i went to tractor supply and bought me a 110 gallon cattle water tank,comes with drain plug and measures roughly 36" x52",got me a piece of 3/4 in treated plywood,put on top,traced out with marker and cut out with a skill saw and jigsaw,then I cut the door opening from the points that are square and hinged them with 3in hinges and secured door with a 4in barrell bolt,addded a screen door handle for easy opening,also put in some rope handles for easier moving,Now for the plumbing,I got around 25ft of 3/4 in ID clear hose,1 3/4in tee,2 atwood aerator heads[1 on each side of the tank],fitting to fit into drain plug,2 atwood thru hull connectors,1 750gph attwood aerator pump,I put one thru hull connector about 1/3rd of the way up the tank,the other about 2/3rds with aerator head about 3in down from the top on each end,ran all my hoses,notice i have a hose for each one with a plug in each one,i can either fill a 1/3 of way up or 2/3,when it gets to the fill line i chose for the amount of fish i am keeping alive it runs out the hole,through the hose and back into the lake by the connector i put at the back of the boat,the aerator pump is mounted in the hull of the pontoon down near the bottom where it draws the water in,I have continuous circulation this way,it runs to the back of the pontoon beside wherethe drain empties,i put another thru hull connector here for easy hose attaching and removal,I also ran the power wires on up in the boat where i can clip to a battery to run it,all can be removed easily if i wish,hopefully the pics will be kinda self explanitory,if not pm me about any questions,this tank works like a charm,i have used it in 3 tourneys so far and 2 with some extreme heat and sun,I have not had one fish even think about kicking over yet,like i said it is on a pontoon and takes up a bit of room so consider that before building,otherwise it works great,these pics are off of the pontoon,I will post some pics soon of it hooked up and working,hope this helps some of you out if you want to build one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    heres a few more pics of my tank setup

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]