Martinsville, Va Resevoir

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by WHEELMOBILE07, Aug 29, 2006.

1. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Small resevoir here on the northern side of martinsville, just wondering if anyone has ever fished there, or had any luck with some decent size blue cats. Heard rumors of a few big channels and a few rumors of some 20# blues being caught. Also heard that there has been some flatties introduced into the resevoir from the dan river. Just wondering if anyone has had any luck there or even fished there for that matter.

Thanks in advance,

Wheelmobile07

2. gtva

gtva Member

State:
    Bassett, VA
    It used to be full of bullheads, and has been stocked with channels for 20+ years. Any blues or flatheads were introduced unofficially so to speak. There was a pic in the paper of supposedly a 25? lb blue caught there earlier this year, but to me it looked more like a channel. Good fishing there for bait,(all the 4-5" bluegill and yellow perch you would want), decent crappie fishing, some bass on the upper end. Really only fishable by boat, electric only, and closes at dusk. I have thought for years some good cats may be in there if you could fish it at night.
    GT

3. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    haha gtva,

you read my mind on exactly what i thought too.

Wheelmobile07

4. gtva

gtva Member

State:
    Bassett, VA
    Many years ago when I was still in school, we would get someone to drop us off before dark and we would wait in the woods until the gate was locked. Then we would walk in and fish all night. The only place to fish from shore of course is the area at the parking lot which is fished out now. We would catch 1/2 to 2 lb bullheads as long as we had bait. That place used to have carp that would easily set a state record, we would see them in the shallows just cruising along, several of them were 48"+, and this was 20+ years ago.
    I guess I need to get a permit to put my little boat on there and fish it for cats, who knows?
    GT

5. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    You got that right about the carp. I've seen monster carp up on the upper shallow end, and you would hear them jumping after bugs all day. My grandfather and I used to fish about every other day during the summer when I was out of school. We would be primarily bass fish, but my grandfather would occasionally target pike with big bass baits and we would hunt for crappie sometimes too. IMHO they could make that place much better for the outdoorsmen with trails around the entire lake and maybe a small campground or something. And of course allow overnight fishing. But it was created to supply H2O to the city not for fishing purposes, I guess the saying is true, "BEGGERS CAN'T BE CHOOSERS."

WHEELMOBILE07