marsh catfishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL LOUISIANA TALK' started by StuBone278, Jul 20, 2008.

1. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    I brought my dad fishing with me to the brackish marsh yesterday. We found one little spot where the current was ripping strong off the ICWW, making a small winding river through the marsh. Fished eddies in the current and pulled in 8 nice eater sized blues and 2 channels! One point the current was so strong going around a corner (this cut was only 10 feet wide most places) The corner of my boat was wanting to get pulled underwater as we passed by. Too bad we found them after 3 hours of run/gun fishing, but we did get them. Fried 'em up last night!:tounge_out:

Attached Files:

2. Igottheblues!

Igottheblues! New Member

State:
    Minden, Louisia
    Boy, Those are gonna be some good eatin cats !
    Thanks for the pic !:wink:

3. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Okay well it's been some time since I last posted. Been doing well consistently out of the Boston lately. Hopefully I'll be able to make a last trip before moving to Baton Rouge for school.

This past Friday I went with a buddy and he caught his new PB, 14.8 pound blue, also the biggest I've seen caught out of there (in my boat, anyways). We released the biggun. Current was moving plenty well. I also got a nice 21" blue, and a couple eaters. My friend missed a HUGE catfish at one point. He said it was like he was stuck on a log, then when it came up he had a good 3' of slime on the line! The hook didn't set. I also caught/released a hardhead and what seemed to be a hybrid hardhead/blue.

I need to get back to try for more redfish, as I haven't had one in a few weeks, and I can't keep frying fish at this rate! :wink:

Attached Files:

4. Katfishing Cajun

Katfishing Cajun New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    That's some good looking cats Stu! You headed to LSU? Thanks for the report and the pics!:cool2:

5. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    I sure am.

Went with a friend today, he just got a 16ft. with 30hp and wanted to get some fishing action. Well we got some! caught/released 2 gaspergou, saltwater catfish, and some hybrid catfish again. Then my friend got a NICE 8.5 pound redfish, we got 2 more 20" reds, and I also picked up a little eater blue. When we had gone to get bait, I cast-netted ONCE and got about 5 pounds of shad.:crazy:

6. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Once again, haven't really posted here in a while but me and Chris (drinkmoremilk) did pretty well today out of the Boston canal! We caught 12 catfish, 3 of which we threw back because they were too small and in one case, too big. Chris had the biggest of the day at a solid 15 pounds, the biggest I have seen landed in my boat.....yet.:wink: It almost spooled him on 12 pound test. We ended up with about 50 pounds of fish being caught today! The day started a little rough. With it being hot, damp, and no wind at all this morning, the gnats tore us up for about an hour solid. We also had a trouble finding bait at first, but we realized all the mullet are spawning (lots w/ eggs) on the flats and on shallow points right now. Bait came easy after that, along with a breeze to blow the gnats and mosquitos away, as well as fish into the boat!:smile2: The action was pretty consistant until about 1:30.

Attached Files:

7. scout

scout Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Great catch Stu.:006:

8. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Went yesterday with a buddy, I caught this 22 pound blue catfish, and we each caught a nice redfish. I thought I had a crab pulling the line at first, then it just started running like crazy! Got a video of fighting it I'll have to get online soon.:tounge_out:

Attached Files:

9. scout

scout Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Very nice blue. Congrats.:006:

10. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Went with my cousin Gavin this afternoon, it was pretty bad. No moving water, good deal of wind, and pretty cold. Saw a good amount of ducks while on the water, and we only got one fish, a 26 pound drum. I offered him to take the rod/reel when it almost broke the rod holder, but he didn't want to! :eek:oooh:

Attached Files:

11. scout

scout Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Hey Stu, boy can those big drum fight or what lol. It is like pulling against a freight train lol.

Me and my cousin spent the day at Cabelas and Bass pro yesterday. I have some new rods and reels with no catfish slim on them yet. I hope to get to the marsh soon and take care of that lol.

Talk to you later, Randall.:006:

12. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Went a few weekends ago, my cousin and I did okay. I missed a very nice redfish and a 30+/- blue catfish at the boat! My cousin got a nice, perfect-eating redfish and a 10lb. blue. I landed this 20lber after a good little fight, and we missed a 15 at the surface a few minutes later! The big ones are biting, just gotta get time on the water!

Attached Files:

13. scout

scout Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Nice catch Stu. I went Sat. and did not do well at all. It was so windy and rough. I had been doing really well on the previous trips but Sat. was not meant to be lol.

You still fishing out of Boston Canal? Any bait on that end? I have been having a hard time lately catching bait on my end during the Winter. It will get better now that it is warming up, I hope lol.

14. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Hey, yeah I went to the Boston saturday. It was terrible. I caught one 7lber, and bait was hard to come by. After about 10 minutes i had five or so finger mullet. Hope you did better than I did. The current was pretty good, but it was either too windy or a ton of gnats. How do you deal with them?

15. scout

scout Member

State:
    Louisiana
    You are so right about the gnats lol. I always try to park on the side of the canal that has the most wind. If that does not work I use my thermacell. I put it right next to me and it works great. I also find that the insect repellant from Avon works great. It is a little expensive but it does work. I always keep a can in my boat.

I tell you if they are calling out for little or no wind for the day I want to go fishing, I just do not go lol. I must be getting old or smarter lol.

16. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Maybe I'll make a lot of jugs, that way when it's not windy
    I'll just run lines, kinda ironic to most other catfishermen! :roll_eyes: ...Just got to fight with those dam crabs that do serious damage to the bait used... That ought to keep me running the boat most of the time, away from the gnats, haha.

Also I was thinking about getting a thermacell, good to see they work decently before I buy one (some?).

17. catdaddy64

catdaddy64 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    If the wind is blowing very much place the Thermacell up wind from you so that the chemical drifts back toward you and no away from you otherwise it isn't effective...I know this is a duh answer but you would be surprised some of the things I have seen. BTW, they work great if used correctly.

18. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Went out to the Boston this morning, started off slow, but had a good time. Ended up with a 15 pound bluecat, 13 pounder, small channel, 20" redfish, and a 5 pound alligator gar. Also caught about 2 dozen BIG crabs but shook 'em off the hook.
    The gar really took me by surprise because I set the hook on what I thought was a red and it didn't move, just solid thud...then it took off and jumped 3 consecutive times you coulda sworn I had a baby tarpon on, haha! Smelled too bad, so I let it go. Let the 2 big catfish off too, they just aren't good over 5 or so pounds.

Just ate the redfish and channel cat!

The one bad thing about today is that I lost my landing net after catching the 15 pounder....I hooked the second fish and just couldn't find my net anywhere...it must have fallen off the boat and I just didn't notice.

BTW Cody next time I catch one(gar), I'm keeping it and we're gonna cook it up good.

I'll put pics up as soon as I can find my camera cable.

19. basincajun

basincajun New Member

State:
    Lafayette,Louisiana
    Stu, you might try filling your net handle with foam. That way, it will float. And I take it you are boat fishing? I've never been down to Boston. I've run through Henry several time and I know it's close. Also, have you ever tried the Warren canal? I've been told that it is a good spot for catting. I'm going to work this summer to get my boat up and running so I can start chasing cats again. Hope we cross paths sometime.

Tom L.

20. scout

scout Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Sounds like you had a good trip Stu (minus the net lol). I do not like the big cats to eat either. They have guys here at work that love them though. I have been trading them for wild game meat. I do not hunt anymore and sure did miss the vinison and ducks. Now I have a steady supply.

Did you meet up with old Duane out there? I saw he posted his catch on another site this week-end.

Good luck on your next trip, Randall.:006: