Marrietta trip

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by s_man, Sep 14, 2007.

1. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I went out tuesday night with bassmassey and fishook. Started out on the Muskingum just up from Marrietta ramp. John caught a 9 or 10lb channel at our first spot. I only managed to catch a 15lb carp and a couple drum while bait fishing lol. We decided to move at 10:30 and went down to the OHIO cause we weren't marking any bait at the other two spots we picked out before dark. We ended up downstream of the mouth in 20ft of water and John casted out some cut bait and before we could get another rod out he had a 6lb flat in the boat lol. We thought we was on them then. But we didn't get any runs for a few hours till John caught a 5lb gar about 3:30 or 4. We did get some runs but no hook ups. I managed to hook something around 4 am but it wrapped me around a log till morning when we pulled anchor and got it free. It was a 6lb flat. Arron came all the way from Georgia to fish and didn't catch anything, but he said he will be back next year. I want to thank Fishook for taking us out on his boat. I had a great time despite the lack of biguns lol.

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    15lb carp!!! knowing you skip you tied a three-way on with the boat anchor to one end, hay hook to the other and used that beast..lol i hope you didn't try to cast him though!!! rollo

3. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I fought that thing for near 8 or 10 minutes on 8lb test with my bait pole lol. I alas had to let him go, even I can't cast a bait that big. I did keep a 2lb drum that I used down on the Ohio later on. Do they make a rod that can cast a 15lb bait? If so where can I get one lol.

4. nite_stocker_69

nite_stocker_69 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i dont know about casting it....but id love to see the big cat that would take it

5. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    That might have been a years supply of cut bait....
    I wondered why you didn't call.
    I am making an overnight Saturday, but don't have a particular destination. I may try the mouth of Wills Creek, or Salt Fork or the Mouth of the Muskingum.... Who knows... :tounge_out:

6. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    speaking of cutbait. i launched out of dresden yesterday morning. someone was nice enough not to use the river or trashcan and dumped a half of a 5 gal. bucket of fresh shad in the grass. it was even still cold! i gathered it up and went fishing!!! lol

7. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    i made it back to georgia tonight......had a great time back in ohio. Fishing the mouth of the muskingum was a great time with skip and john. i appreciate you guys taking me out, and not to mention the year supply of weights skip hooked me up with. I ended up fishing from the bank friday night when that front came through.....we got rained on in the early evening then around 4am they turned on like a light switch. the whole night was dead then all of a sudden we were getting runs about every 20 minutes. As soon as i can get to a scanner i will have some nice pics for the muskingum river thread. my vacation was 11 days and i think i fished the river 8 of those nights, lol. thanks again for taking me out, and i look forward to next summer.

8. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    We'll be here and maybe next year I'll have a little more knowledge of the river down there. I went again this tuesday with Phil. I caught a 6 and a 15 lb flat. Phil caught his first gar lol. The water temp was 73 degrees. It dropped 10 degrees from last week with all those cool nights. If anyone fishes down there full time I'd like to get the grand tour and pick your brain lol. I know that area has big fish potential. But I'm still gettin my feet wet so to speak since I've only made 3 trips so far.

9. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    I can't believe I drove 3 hours to catch one of those things.lol I had a great time as usual with Skip. I have always wanted to see the Muskingum in Marietta and plan to make it down a least once a year from now on.

10. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    skip, let me know when you wanna meet up again. same for you phil. i know some area on the ohio below willow island. like to make one more trip to the big river this yr. lol glad you guys had fun. maybe next time i won't have to work.

11. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    the river down there is very nice, i took a picture of a nice river bend during sunrise with a lil steam coming off the warm water......im going to wal-mart to blow it up so i can hang it on the wall. i will post it in the muskingum river with my other pics as soon as i can get to a scanner.