Marmet Locks

Discussion in 'WEST VIRGINIA RIVER TALK' started by hunterhnc20, Jul 3, 2009.

1. hunterhnc20

hunterhnc20 New Member

State:
    Buffalo, West V
    Since the Winfield locks are still closed I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the Marmet locks. Is there any shad or skipjack running up in there and how is the fishing there? Im mostly after bait (shad ans skipjack). Thinking about running up there Sunday morning.

2. hunterhnc20

hunterhnc20 New Member

State:
    Buffalo, West V
    Well as you can see no one gave me any information so I went down there Sunday in the rain anyway. So here is the low down. No minnows in there so that meant the skipjack wasn't in there (all though I did see some out passed my casting distance) and very little shad, I only caught one. Seen probally 40 shad, one here and there. I did caught a hybird stripper on a 5" artifical shad. Im guessing around 8lb. And there you go.

3. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks for the fishing report, Neal!

4. hunterhnc20

hunterhnc20 New Member

State:
    Buffalo, West V
    I caught a few mooneyes Friday at the locks. Some shad up in there. The sauger are up in there on the bottom. I didnt fish any besides trying to catch some bait.

5. crawford1

crawford1 Member

State:
    west virginia
    Let me know we can get you shad. But I never had any luck freezing them they get soft.I,m putting in at the buffalo ramp tuesday night to go fish that end of the river.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2009